• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 GB of DDR4 with Z270 - pretty lights and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

So I was definitely going to max out RAM for my planned new system with a 7700k or 7600K and go for 64 GB, which seems to require 4 x 16 GB for the motherboard I'll probably get, along with similar motherboards, as they have 4 slots.

Then I saw the RAM prices.

Now I'm thinking I'll work up to 64 GB over time, perhaps starting with 1 or 2 sticks of 16 GB.

Is there anything I should know about config/performance differences between running 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks and 4 sticks? Will things fundamentally change working my way up to 4 x 16 GB, or will it be one smooth, seamless experience from hardly enough to full RAM glory?

Oh yea, and I'm also hoping I can find some good modules with pretty lights on them. To me it seems like the latest light up RAM offerings are uglier, with LEDs being shrouded by translucent material instead of being nice, sharp and uncovered. :(

More RAM means more work for the IMC. Depending on your CPU and IMC you may need to add volts or drop speeds to run that much RAM.

For example : Ive got an FX chip that will run 8gb of 2133 @ stock, no problem. 16gb of 1866 required extra volts and 32gb of 1866 had to be downclocked to 1600 no matter the volts or timings I set. It should be noted that FX have a reputation for weak IMC though

On Z270 64GB should run at auto voltages but how high you can set frequency depends on many things.

Back