• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600k delid results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquaman78

I broke down and delidded my 6600k with a razor blade (a little nerve wracking). The gunk that intel uses was very dry and 'crumbly'. I replaced the IHS with a grain of rice size ammount of Noctua NT-H1, the same TIM I use on the AIO cold plate. Prior to delid, my temps were maxing at 82c with P95 small FFT's. After delidding, the max temp was 63c. Pretty impressive and dramatic decrease in temps despite my skepticism.

Nice results! But your chip must have had a bad thermal paste cause im getting max 70c with my Noctua NH U9B at 65% fan speed and clock speed of 4.1Ghz

Glad you didn't pull a LinusTechTips and use the stock cooler after delidding xD

Thats a pretty significant drop. Congrats :)

all 1150/1155/1151 stock coolers work fine if you are not passing ~4.2GHz :)

Wow. When I get into slowly pulling parts outta my current build and upgrading them, I might delid my new i7 I'm planning on buying. That temp difference sure is a hefty motivator :D

maybe on "not perfect" 6700K but on my i3 it was all 3*C difference so totally not worth delidding

Every forum I checked so far (RoG, oc.net, Guru3D, HardForum, AnandTech and others), the AVERAGE delid gains on Skylake specifically are 10c-20c, that's what made me want to try it on mine.

You don't know how tests were performed so you can only believe what people claim in their posts. Many are trying to convince themselves that delidding helped them. I can show you 30*C difference but you don't know if it's true or not or what cooling I used, or what software I used to heat it up. Many results are comparison between stock cooler before delidding and some high end cooler after delidding ( or air vs water ).
If CPU runs at no more than ~70*C under full load ( something near stock temps under load ) then you simply can't make it to run at ~50*C on the same cooler only by changing TIM. Intel's TIM isn't that bad as people say. It's actually good but is not designed for sub 0 temps. When you remove IHS then you see that not much TIM is on the core what means that contact is quite good.
Real gain can be near 5-12*C what in most cases won't improve overclocking.

I'm not saying don't delid it or it's pure evil etc ... just simply think if it's worth to lose warranty to get couple of degrees less and 0 to 100MHz higher max clock.

In my case I'm not sure warranty applies, I bought it on Amazon and they have a fairly short return period ?

In my case I'm not sure warranty applies, I bought it on Amazon and they have a fairly short return period ?

Amazon return period is 30 day's from the day you received it. If i'm correct. But if you're a good customer they'll always help you out
ExAMPlE i recently had a bunch of issues with my ASUS Maximus VIII Hero board and after going back and forth with ASUS and not getting anywhere
after a month and a couple of days after the return period expired with amazon. I contacted them explained the situation how i was dealing with the manufacturer
and all in all they helped me out gave me a refund for the purchase price. But the rep didn't fully explain that I would be charged a restocking fee so when i got my refund
back yesterday and didn't see the full amount i called and ask what went wrong and there was a confusion from what the rep told me in any case they honored their word and i receive the
difference plus a little extra in the form of a gift card so I don't think you would be out of luck even past the 30 day return period. they'll work with you and help you.

Still do, CPU hasn't got a mark on it ;) this is besides the point though, isn't there a delid thread exactly for this purpose ?

Yes exactly, the point i brought up, i derailed the thread and i wanted to get it back on course, like i usually do :confused:

I understand that for every successful delid there's probably 2+ others that went wrong or yielded no significant results and people don't usually post their failures, and others don't post methodology and/or hardware used, so how do we separate the true success stories from the fakes ? there's bound to be a few in those forums, there's too many to discount :screwy:

To my (understandably newbie eyes) this is not one of said posts, OP provided additional info, and related how the operation went. But i sense there's still a bit of suspicion (?) because he didn't provide before/after screenshots ?

Last edited:
Its not so much that as much as it is other variables that are unaccounted for...

For example, how do we know his cooler wasn't mounted properly or the TIM application wasn't where it needed to be for the initial results? This is why review sites use testing methods like multiple mounts and TIM applications to remove those sort of variables. Ambient temperature could also be different (1:1 ratio - but still likely 1-2C difference if they have central air conditioning).

Its possible indeed, but not remotely common to see such a drop. In this case, I do believe the OP because he said the paste that was there was dry and cracking... I do not believe that is normal and was the issue. For those with 'normal' paste between the die and IHS, temp drops are much less.

Wait, I thought Intel had gone back to using a fluxless solder metal-based TIM with Skylake. Aquaman78, what you describe in your delidding doesn't seem to support that.

Back