• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GTX multi-desktop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starbo

Registered
Hi all, I havn't posted on this board for a while now but now I'm back :p

Anywhoo... down to business...

I have a WinFast 7800GTX 256. I have two monitor outputs on the card and I have a vague memory of a multidesktop feature that comes with the card's bundled software.

My question is this... is it possible to run, for example, a DVD and have that sent through one of the monitor outputs to a T.V while performing another task such as browsing the net and having that shown on my flat screen monitor? In other words - can I "multitask" the monitor outputs so that the dvd will play on the tv but won't appear on the monitor i'd be using for another task...?

My reason for asking is I'm going to university in September and I want to get the most out of my rig. If I can get this to work it will also mean I won;t have the extra DVD player in my dorm room, therefore less plugs, leads etc - and one less item to clean! :rolleyes:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

so you want a dual monitor setup with a tv as the third then. When i had a fx5600, you could not run svideo with the 1 agp and dvi. you got choice of the dvi or agp. There are modules that split it, i cant remember what company but it takes your video and splits it into 3 screens. you could then just get a vga to like rca converter or something and convert it to a dvd. other then that im not sure, im getting my 7800gtx this week, so il try and see what i can do

Sorry, think I went the long-*** way around when describing the problem :rolleyes:

I simply want a dual monitor setup. One of which will be my T.V (using the converter cable you described). The other my 17" flat screen monitor.

The catch is: (for example) I want to be able to run a DVD but only have that showing on the T.V while I can surf the net/game/do homework on the flat-screen.

I have heard of a multidesktop tool that nVidia have developed that allows you to switch between desktops. I just need to know if it is possible to have one desktop playing a DVD through the T.V while the other desktop can be used for the monitor?

well you can do what you want to a degree. I have done it with all of my cards

The first problem is that anytime you switch windows on one desktop in my experience, the movie kicks itself out of full screen.

Also you should know that while you can game and watch a movie your computer would be getting two sources for sound and this can cause problems to a certain extent as well as taking a hit in performance in the games.

You dont need multiple desktops to do this. I always just did it with split screens I dont have much experience with the multiple desktops

Yes, I have played both movies and DVDs on one monitor while doing something else on the other.

However, I think you have to keep the movie un-minimized (but it can be in the background on your monitor you're using for web browsing, etc.)

Some video formats it'll pause if not in the foreground if I remember correctly.

This was with a MSI 7800gtx 256 and various drivers. ;)

I have the same video card. I didn't install any of the bundled software; Just the normal latest video drivers. Then I setup "Dualview" with my lcd as my main monitor and my tv as my secondary display. I can game while watching movies fullscreen with no problems, cept in bf2 and except if I am using real player. Vlc media player plays fullscreen fine, though I remember back on my ti-4600 I couldn't watch fullscreen and game. hope this helps!

You dont even have to setup dualview to get this to work. all you need, is to boot up your pc with both attached and extend your desktop to the second display, ie, your tv. you can do this in the windows settings *if its a monitor* or in the nvidia control panel *if its a tv* without enabling the nview manager.
to get a dvd or other media to run full screen, have the view and consol windows on your second monitor when you full screen, and dont drag your mouse over to that monitor when your doing stuff on monitor one.
Feel free to IM me or PM me if you have any questions.

Thats exactly what I do with my rig in my dorm. Movies on one, photoediting on the other. I use Nvidias Dualview to pull it off. And I use WinDVD 7. And YES you can maximize the movie window to view it on 100% of the screen. Looks great.

Valk, you are right, I run dualview for when I run 2 monitors (so I can choose the res for each one) but with 1 monitor and 1 tv, just plug 'n play!

BTW, if it is a Windows Media File (not sure what other codecs/formats work), you can right-click the movie and select "Play on my -->" and you can pick which monitor, so this way, that's all you have to do, you don't even have to change anything in the properties. :)

Back