• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 3070 vs RTX 4060

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I'm sure there's a benchmark somewhere that I've missed...

But they seem to be GIVING AWAY 3070 cards these days for about the same price as 4060 cards.

So my question is would it be worth it to get a used 3070 over a 4060?

Really all I care about is fan noise... I would almost just trade my 2060 Super for another 2060 Super with less fan noise.

It's killing me.

3070 would be higher performance. If the model shared the same cooler as 3080 then it should run pretty cool. 4060 is much lower power, but also a bit lower performance

Do you want to buy used vs new?

I have my old 3070Ti in my sons system.. I think its a great GPU still. It does have a 3080 cooler on it..

So my question is would it be worth it to get a used 3070 over a 4060?
Depends. Worth is in the eye of the beholder. Whats 22% performance difference at 1080p worth to you? Any card can be 'quiet' (well, lol)... just depends on the cooler the card uses. Though it is easier to cool a 115W card compared to 220W (your current card is ~175W).

From your other post asking about the 4060 noise, TPU has really comprehensive reviews including loudness of graphics cards. Here's the link for some 3070s so you can compare against the 4060 link.

Anyhoo...if you don't care about performance, the 4060 is going to be a good choice for your needs. Among them, check the reviews for noise and make a selection. :)

Last edited:
3070 would be higher performance. If the model shared the same cooler as 3080 then it should run pretty cool. 4060 is much lower power, but also a bit lower performance

Do you want to buy used vs new?

Well... I'd have to. The 3070 used is going for about the same price as the 4060 new. I guess people are trying to get rid of them (especially if they were LHA) and get 4000 series cards instead.

Depends. Worth is in the eye of the beholder. Whats 22% performance difference at 1080p worth to you? Any card can be 'quiet' (well, lol)... just depends on the cooler the card uses. Though it is easier to cool a 115W card compared to 220W (your current card is ~175W).

From your other post asking about the 4060 noise, TPU has really comprehensive reviews including loudness of graphics cards. Here's the link for some 3070s so you can compare against the 4060 link.

Anyhoo...if you don't care about performance, the 4060 is going to be a good choice for your needs. Among them, check the reviews for noise and make a selection. :)

Thanks!

Yeah even my 2060 Super is fine for my needs... just the DAMNED FAN!

I don't understand it... Was the same with Diablo IV (which to me was nothing special at all graphicswise) and BG3... Fan on ALL the time. Regardless of resolution.

In Marvel's MIdnight Suns it only came on SOMETIMES... Mainly during the final battle.

In Cyberpunk 2077... not at ALL... during gameplay. For a couple of seconds during loading.

I really don't get it. With no action on the screen, at 1080p... mid quality... BG3 sounds like a freight train. Character STANDING there. Background... not even moving. No enemies on the screen.

I almost want to RMA the damned thing...

EDIT: Ahhh... Here we go:

I guess you can find something like this for your card, but I'm not sure if it's worth to buy it for older card - https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_bycategory.php?CategoryID=1&SubCategoryID=22
After a couple of reviews I can only say that AMD and Nvidia cheaper options are pretty bad and it's better to get at least RTX4070 or browse older models and maybe second-hand market. The only advantage of RTX4060 or RX7600 is their lower wattage. In case of RX7600 is not even wattage as they go up to 190W during higher load (and spikes up to 215-220W). You can limit power in RTX3070 and it will be still faster and about 180W under load.

Well... I'd have to. The 3070 used is going for about the same price as the 4060 new. I guess people are trying to get rid of them (especially if they were LHA) and get 4000 series cards instead.
I was more thinking if you preferred new that could swing more to 4060 side than a used 3070. There are some new 3070 still floating around although their pricing doesn't make sense where I am.

I really don't get it.
I'll guess your 9600kf may be part of the reason you're seeing inconsistent GPU use in some titles. It's old(er - 5 years in Jan), slower, and 'only' has 6 total cores and threads. Assuming you're playing at 1080p, a CPU-bound res in many cases, I could see this being part of the inconsistency in performance too.

IIRC, Cyberpunk 2077 is getting an update soon that's supposed to allow it to use up to 8c/t. When that happens, your experience could take a hit on that CPU. What's funny is this (and many other) articles/reviews call it a GPU demanding game and yours doesn't even kick the fan on (leads me to believe something else is going on).

IIRC, Cyberpunk 2077 is getting an update soon that's supposed to allow it to use up to 8c/t. When that happens, your experience could take a hit on that CPU. What's funny is this (and many other) articles/reviews call it a GPU demanding game and yours doesn't even kick the fan on (leads me to believe something else is going on).
That was the DLC Phantom Liberty release, already got 2 patches after that. In 2.0.2 I see 60%-80% CPU usage on my 3700x and ~90%+ on my 3070 (1440p DLSS quality, mix of high and ultra settings), defo something else going on with that system if the fans don't ramp up.

Hmm... I'll have to keep an eye on the CPU temps then. I've just been staring at the GPU. Who knows? I did have to swap out CPUs during that debacle where I was locked out of my computer by Secure Boot...

...but I was playing Midnight Suns (HEAVILY) around that time. And definitely paying attention to temps.

I don't remember any sizable difference in temperature after I got my original CPU back on.

But I'll have to triple check and make sure it's not the Zalman fan before I fly to Berlin in search of another card. (I'm pretty sure I already checked this... but worth it to be sure.)

As for Cyberpunk 2077...

I updated to 2.0 first. Loaded up my game... ran around a bit... No fan noise. Then I updated to 2.02... same.

@Kenrou are those temps higher or lower than pre-patch?

Slightly higher temps on the CPU from much higher usage (1.62 to 2.0.2), about the same on the GPU, 60c-65c on the CPU and 60c/70c (core/hotspot) with my GPU undervolt, but I haven't cleaned my case in months and I have dogs, so It'll likely drop 5c next time I crack it open 😅

There are like DOZENS of cards like this:

300 bucks... SHIPPED! Cheaper than I could get any new 4060.

Don't know if Gainward is any good... but if the performance is that much better than the 4060... then I'm all for it.

Don't know if Gainward is any good... but if the performance is that much better than the 4060... then I'm all for it.
As far as I remember, PNY/Gainward/Palit are all Nvidia partners, all use the default PCBs, but have different names because they go for European/Asian markets.

There are like DOZENS of cards like this:

300 bucks... SHIPPED! Cheaper than I could get any new 4060.

when gainward sold in the USA, i think they were in the top 5. maybe even higher, at the time if it was not BFG people were buying it was gainward.

As far as I remember, PNY/Gainward/Palit are all Nvidia partners, all use the default PCBs, but have different names because they go for European/Asian markets.

All are the same manufacturer. I have no idea why brands are different, as there are barely any differences between them nowadays. In the past, Gainward was high-end, and Palit was low-end. PNY had no graphics cards when Gainward was on top. Now, all three are low-end if we compare them to all other brands. They often have custom PCBs and the power design. In general, these cards are not bad. Sometimes, they have low-quality coolers. These brands always have warranty stickers = you lose the warranty when you remove them. In comparison, ASUS, MSI, or Gigabyte will usually perform PCB checks for mechanical damages before deciding on a warranty.

PNY was the only brand making the Quadro, they switched to making RTX ADA now.

I can't find details, but Galax/KFA2 can have the same owner (I can be wrong), and less popular brands like Daytona are owned by Palit too. The same as PowerColor is a part of TUL, and TUL used to have 8 or 9 graphics card brands (most available in Asia). In the end, there are maybe 4 corporations that own 90% of the market. It was counted that Palit, with all its brands, sell more than ASUS.
PNY has been selling cheaper graphics cards for over 10 years. They started with higher series and Quadro, but it was already a long time ago (at least looking at how IT market is changing).
What is weird is that so many different brands are for the Asian market only, and most of them are barely different. Even in the EU/US market, it's weird that Palit, Gainward, and PNY exist and have similar products.

Nvidia has its quality policy, and most (if not all) graphics cards are pretty good quality. At least everything on the PCB keeps higher standards. Differences are mainly in cooling (more differences are in top series cards, but they're a low % of all sales). Some years ago, there were problems with low-end graphics cards, but not anymore. Nowadays, you don't have to worry that any graphics card will overheat or have a power design that is too weak. It may have a noisy cooler, but that's all.

What surprises me is how interesting graphics cards and motherboards make Colorful and how they improved in the last 2-3 years. Motherboards' BIOS isn't any special, but they have top-quality graphics cards and better motherboards than still popular brands like Biostar. I'm really happy with the RTX4080 that I reviewed some months ago. Great build, quiet, and no problems at all. All reviewed motherboards were pretty good, too. Worse is that their products are hard to get in the EU/US.

Back