• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8kta3+ How fast can I go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cayra

I currently have an Epox 8kta3+(via kt133A chipset)and I'm currently running an Athlon 1000 in it
I recently overclocked this to 1.3 (locked chip 133x10) and all was fine but a bit hot...

Anyway
I want to upgrade my cpu
but when I contacted Epox they said depending on my chipset I could go to 1.4 or 1.8
They asked me to take of the chipsetr cooler and check the colour which I haven't figured out how to do (duh)
I'm assuming as I have the A in my chipset (newer version?) I can go to at least 1.8

In bios it looks as if I can go to 12.5 x 133

which should take me to a 2000xp .....correct???

but lots of posts suggest the m/board won't do it ... xp chip won't post etc

What is the fastest chip I can put in ??(without overclocking is fine)

Thanks in anticipation

:burn:

I have two of the EPOX 8kta3+ boards. In one of 'em, I've got a Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 running at 1.4 GHz. In the other one, I've got an Athlon XP 1900+. Before I installed the XP, I flashed the BIOS with the latest version (from EPOX). I had a little trouble with the procedure; I eventually had to format and reinstall W2k. But, everything seems fine now.

Thanks

You don't have the Pro version do you
Epox only recommends xp with that
Altough I'm sure we can do things not on the recommended list

On the 1900
what bios version is that? I just downloaded one but i haven't been brave enough to flash it yet

and do you have voltage running at default?

Did you have to flash the bios or just think it was a good idea?

No temperature problems??

Anmy other advice

Thanks again for your time

Actually, I have two 8kta3+ and one 8kta3+pro. I have the XP installed on one of the 8kta3+ boards. The only significant difference I'm aware of between the two boards is that the "pro" has RAID support. Otherwise, they look and perform identically.

I needed to flash the BIOS on my 8kta3+ to support the XP CPU. My older, original BIOS did not support the XP 1900+. It does now. Flashing the BIOS is a bit tricky. Follow the directions exactly as EPOX says, it'll be fine.

I have not overclocked the XP yet, so yes, everything is at default. The voltage, multiplier and FSB. I've only had the XP about a week now; I'll try changing the FSB sometime soon.

I use a water-cooling system (the Blizzard Z4) to cool the XP. I originally had an Athlon 1.4 running at 1.6 GHz and started to use water to reduce the noise. But when I put the XP in the box, I stayed with the water-cooler because it was quiet and worked so well to control the XP temps. Under full load, the XP runs right around 33 degrees C. I've never seen it over 35 C.

I hope that helps.

Thanks again

I flashed the bios last night no problems

although windows xp made it more fun by taking an eternity to find my scanner and I thought it had hung!

There seems a bit of confusion on the boards between the 8kta+ the 8kta and the 8kta+pro... mine could have had raid support (listed as an option) so I can't see how it can be any different from the pro

One one epox pdf I found (the older one) the pro isn't listed but the plus lists xp... on the more recent one both are listed but only the pro supports xp... (maybe because it has a more recent bios??)

I plan to get the chip... if it doesn't work then 'll have to get a motherboard ...off course I just bought extra sdram and the new board will support ddram

It sounds like I can run the 1800 at default voltage then as it's not overclocked

I have a geforce 3 in there and I want to use it for Morrowwind

Back