• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about buying a new Graphics card would like some opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

As my title suggests I am thinking about buying a new GPU, the reason is,
Within the last 4-6 months I upgraded to Windows 11 and as soon as I did within days I started to have problems with my monitors ( mainly one monitor but did happen on other a few times ) My screens would go black for about a second about 1-2 times a day. My first thoughts was my GPU since both monitors were affected but only one on a regular basis. I thought the odds of both monitors or both GPU cables to monitors going bad at the same time that I upgraded to windows 11 was not realistic. So my first thought is maybe something is going on with my GPU. Then I found out that there is a known issue with Windows 11 "Black Screen of Death" So I did a fresh install of Windows 10 since it was past the time I could revert back. Now I still have the monitor going black for a second but now it is only every 2 days or so. So now I will start to change parts out for new ones starting with my GPU

It's 5 years old, it was the only part in my rebuilt that I used from my prior build. It's older than the rest of my system. So I would like to look at buying a new GPU The current one in my signature worked fine for my needs so it would make sense to get something more current but not a ton more powerful. I would prefer a GPU that has 2 HDMI outputs so I can just use HDMI cables directly to my monitors. Currently I use DVI to HDMI

I would appreciate some suggestions and as in the last time when I asked for suggestions on my new build, I take all suggestions and then decide what I want. I appreciate everyone's input. and thank you in advance.

Before you replace the card, did you check the Event Viewer to see if it is recording anything like an nvidia driver crash & recovery? Did you clean the card's heatsink of any dust & verify both fans are working when you built the new system? Maybe try running GPUZ in the background for a period of time while monitoring temperatures. Then you can go back and look at the log to rule out any temperature related issue.

Appreciate your advice for troubleshooting the issue but I would like to buy a new GPU, I should have bought a new one when I built this system and it just time. I'm not saying this GPU is bad or defective I just want to get a new one.

I fully understand. Sometimes we just wanna get something new. :)

Personally I would like to get an Arc A750 or A770 just for the experience of playing with an Intel video card. Also IMHO, all current nvida cards are overpriced compared to their competitors. I would be looking to AMD (RX 6700 or RX 7600), if not Intel, for a new card. BUT that is a biased opinion.

Almost forgot, what's your budget? What's you use of the card?

Last edited:
...an RTX 3060 sounds about right for what little we know about your needs and budget. That would be a capable 1080p/60/ultra card. So would AMD 6700... but, not the biggest fan of the ecosystem comparitively. Intel Arc cards, A750 would also be solid.

That said, no idea what the W11 BSOD is... I can google anything and come up with hits, so, just be careful. :)

Same issues happening to me again on this site, when I highlight your post and select quote it doesn't add your post as a quote????
Hello EarthDog,
My needs are simple minor video editing watch streaming TV on my PC other than that I don't game on it. My budget is $300-$350ish I looked at the RTX 3060 but it has 3 Display ports and only one HDMI.... I need ( Want) 2 HDMI. I know I will pay more for the 2 HDMI ports but I guess it is what it is. You were a great help in my new build Months ago and I appreciate your help.
Post magically merged:

I fully understand. Sometimes we just wanna get something new. :)

Personally I would like to get an Arc A750 or A770 just for the experience of playing with an Intel video card. Also IMHO, all current nvida cards are overpriced compared to their competitors. I would be looking to AMD (RX 6700 or RX 7600), if not Intel, for a new card. BUT that is a biased option.

Almost forgot, what's your budget? What's you use of the card?
I get what you are saying, I have always used Nvidia so will stay with that even though I agree they are over priced. It's the old Ford vs Chevy thing..........lol you like one or the other and you stick with them.

>>>>EarthDog this quote worked fine I think it is you!!!! I'm joking with you

Last edited:
Yes I saw that one and it is what I would like, My only concern is it is 3" longer than my current card and it would put the end of that card very close to my intake fans, You can see in the image. I may have to try to find a card with only 2 fans and 2 HDMI.... I know might be tough

Attachments

• IMG_6271.jpg
    IMG_6271.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
If you look at the specifications page for your case, it will tell you exactly how long of a video card fits. ;)

What chassis is that? Can the fans go on the other side of the baffle it's currently mounted to? Is that the way they are 'supposed' to go? I'd also like to see that CPU heatsink blowing to the rear. I'm sure it's fine, but, when that GPU is active, it's taking the heat RIGHT off that thing... ideally that should go front to back.

I will look at my case specs to see. Yes the fans are mounted as they are supposed to be. The case is the

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540​

Thanks!

I did check and it says MAX GPU is 322 mm which is like 12 inches so it should fit

Thanks I found the other card at Amazon where I prefer to use over Newegg for the same price. Since my case specs say it will fit I ordered it and we will see. It will be here between Dec 6-12 will update once I have it in and see how it works.. Thanks again and as always thanks for your input EarthDog!

Once again I wanted this to be a quote but sometimes it works and most it doesn't??

Once again I wanted this to be a quote but sometimes it works and most it doesn't??
I'll admit, I don't know how to use that "Quote+".... :chair:

That said, highlight what you want to quote. When you do so, a small box pops up that says REPLY, click taht and it will quote/paste where your cursor is in a post or in quick reply.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 132751.png

Last edited:
I'll admit, I don't know how to use that "Quote+".... :chair:

That said, highlight what you want to quote. When you do so, a small box pops up that says REPLY, click taht and it will quote/paste where your cursor is in a post or in quick reply.
Okay I see now, I was highlighting and selecting quote, this time I selected reply :) thanks I will try to remember that

The +Quote is for multi-quote. An Insert quotes... button will appear below the text box.

Looking forward to your feelings on the new card. Congrats on the purchase. (y)

quotes.png

Last edited:
The +Quote is for multi-quote. An Insert quotes... button will appear below the text box.

Looking forward to your feelings on the new card. Congrats on the purchase. (y)
It's been about 5 days now since I installed my Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3060 GAMING OC 12G (rev. 2.0). Since the GPU is overkill for me I don't notice any difference in performance but I knew this was going to happen, I just wanted a new GPU to see if my Issues that were making one of my monitors go black for a few seconds about 1 to 2 times a day. Since I was going to buy a new card I wanted the upgrade.

The results are I have not had one black screen since I installed the new GPU which is good. The bad part is the issues in my mind could have been my old GPU or the cables I was using, I chose to replace the GPU rather than buying new cable first.

I do have all my parts from my old system that I can build a system and test the GPU with new cables and if the issue doesn't happen I can assume it was/is the cables and at least be able to sell my old GPU. Until I can be sure that the GPU was not the problem I can't sell it with a clear mind,.nor would I.

I hope all of you have happy holidays.

Back