• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9500 Wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

I dont get it, im getting pretty mad at ATI atm. Some ppl are saying that the 9500 will be better thatn the 4600 in MOST cases. what the hell! The 4600s been ou for a year, i want some power! And for near 200 dollars why noit just get a 4600 for 150! What benifit will the 9500 have over the 4600. Dont get me wrong im no Nvidia fanboy, i love ati, i just need to know how the heck they are so far behind

Something to remember is that the GF4 Ti4600 is only DX 8 compliant, where as the Radeon 9500 is DX 9 compliant. So when it comes to ANYTHING DX 9 based, the Radeon 9500 will wipe the floor with the GF4 Ti4600....

quegyboe said:
Something to remember is that the GF4 Ti4600 is only DX 8 compliant, where as the Radeon 9500 is DX 9 compliant. So when it comes to ANYTHING DX 9 based, the Radeon 9500 will wipe the floor with the GF4 Ti4600....

Exactly! In theory at least. This is more of an issue for the video cards potential longevity than it is for current performance. However, since DX 9 hasn't even been released yet it's impossible to tell exactly how much of a hit the GF4 will take againts the 9500 with games designed for DX 9. I would estimate the difference will be around 25-30%, but I have no way of knowing for sure at this point.

In a nutshell, Both cards are good now, but the ATI 9500 should be able to perform better going into 2004 or 2005.

All of oyur questons can be answered at www.hardocp .com ................ check their review of the 9500 Pro . Bear in mind that the excellent performance seen is with a beta board with only 64 mb of ram !

Some sites show the 9500 Pro performing between the Ti 4400 and 4200 in regular benches . others show it outperforming the 4600 . But ALL that I have seen show it beating the 4600 when AA and anisotropic filtering are turned on . Beating the 4600 badly too BTW . So when ( emphasis on when ) the 9500 Pro is available, here is what it will have besides the current performance advantage :

1/ Direct X 9 ability
2/ Better 2d quality
3/ Claimed better streaming video quality and lower cpu utilisation
4/ AGP 8x
5/ Better 3d quality and for less of a performance hit .

Wraith said:
I dont get it, im getting pretty mad at ATI atm. Some ppl are saying that the 9500 will be better thatn the 4600 in MOST cases. what the hell! The 4600s been ou for a year, i want some power! And for near 200 dollars why noit just get a 4600 for 150! What benifit will the 9500 have over the 4600. Dont get me wrong im no Nvidia fanboy, i love ati, i just need to know how the heck they are so far behind

show me where you can get a 4600 for $150, remeber the 9500 PRo is new ,imho $200 is a good starting pt, it will only get cheaper.

Personally I would pay the extra over a Ti4200 or 4400 just for DX9, card will easily last a while close to 2 yrs prolly, and with all the goodies turned on it does beat the 4600 up

cisco kid

it is the card I am waiting for !!!:burn:

sorry i guess i got muxed up, but still, why has it taken ATI so long to get back on track? And by better than a 4600you meen i will be playing Morrowind at 1600 1200 with 4x AA and 16x ansi at a smooth 45 FPS? untilo a card can do that. What is ment by lower CPU utilization> is this the overhead on the cpu you speek of?

well some games use more cpu over gpu - so you could have the best gfx card ever ever, but if a game isnt gonna use much of it, it isnt gonna use much of it - and vice versa. But that has really got to be attacked from both sides of it...just saying your hardware is gonna use less is one thing, but if the software itself then has to utlize it :(

I think were getting there - but by the time we do that will be so old you probably wouldnt want to ;)

as for stabbing at ATIs lateness - well its good to see them back and kicking some, I at one point thought you would never see them again. And yes, for the difference in performance now - it aint worth it, but I should imagine when dx9 is in full use, the old gf4s will be a bit gayed.

Roll on GF5s I suppose, although my friend thinks that nvidia are gonna go down amd road and paper release them :(

hmm, it's a guess by my take on lower CPU utilization means the Video Card becomes less dependant upon the CPU and system memory to process it's data...therefore there is less need to transfer data back and forth over the AGP bus and therefore results in quicker video processing. Much like a system less dependant upon V-mem will perform faster. N'est ce pas?

The cpu utilisation thing I'm referring to in this case is the fact that the 9700 and 9500 series can use htier pixel shaders to accelerate and clean up streaming video . This will offload some cpu work to the card and also improve quality IF the program has the necessary optimisations.

Ppl may say whatever they like , but when the 9500 pro comes out , unless there is an evn more massive price drop in the 4600 , it will make no sense to buy it ! Some may say things like ........... when dx9 comes out the 9500 will be a good card . But that ignores the fact that it is a good card NOW ( well when it is actually released ;) ) DX9 ability is icing on the cake for later on .

what you need to remember is that Ati is far from behind and is in fact WAY ahead......the 9700 handily wipes the floor with anything Nvidia has put out so far.....the 9500/Pro is just there to fill a niche in the market not to take Nvidia's glory...that was done months ago lol

If you want a sweet card for a GF4 Ti4600 price get the 9700 and O/C to 9700 pro speeds, maybe even higher.

That will be one hell of a card for $250-$300.

Back