• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro to 9800XT :cry:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bald Shadow

OH THE PAIN

Always kept my 9800pro at 412/380 just to be on the safe side. Played DOOM III and it ran as smooth as silk. (with a few DOOM III tweaks) :D

I soft-modded my Sapphire 9800pro to a 9800XT. I did all the testing involved to make sure that my card can reach XT speeds. All went well.

My 9800pro has a 360 core and Samsung memory. So I soft-modded the card using HIS.9800XT.128MB.Samsung. Installed Omega Drivers then ran 3DMark03 and AquaMark3 scores were up. But when I enabled Fast-write my scores were higher by at least 300 points.

But that isn’t what troubled me, what bothered me was when I played DOOM III I got a lot of artifacts. I tried to back off of the core and memory a bit but it still didn’t work. Flashed back to my original 9800pro BIOS and overclocked it back to 412/380 played DOOM III and NO ARTIFACTS. < scratches head > What am I doing wrong. Did I use the wrong BIOS. Should I try the GigaCube.9800XT.128MB.Samsung.E-die.bin

****//REMINDER\\****​

I overclocked my 9800pro to 412/380 with no artifacts. Played DOOM III no problem.

Soft-modded to 9800XT benchmarked with no artifacts at all. But when I played DOOM III all I get is artifacts. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well I figured out what the problem was. The BIOS you use makes all the difference in the world. The previous BIOS I used (HIS / Sapphire Radeon 9800 "XT" 128MB Samsung ) weren’t the correct one.

The BIOS that worked without artifacts in benchmarking and in playing DOOM III was the GigaCube.9800XT.128MB.Samsung.E-die.bin. Coupled with the latest Omega Drivers, it’s pretty cool. Well another mod (soft-mod) under my belt.
:clap:

Back