• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9X150cas2 or DMA Enabled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JAWS

I just got my new m/b and had it rock stable at 9x150cas2.(ultra)
When I enambled DMA on my cdrom and hard drive, everything
went haywire. Now it's at 9x138 with DMA. I guess what
I'm asking, which would have the better performance? 9x150 w/out DMA or 9x138 w/ DMA?

My personal feeling is that you would see more of a real world difference with the DMA enabled and a lower clock speed, but I don't understand why enabling it would cause such a drastic difference in what you are able to run at. I would keep tweaking and see if you could raise it some more

Cool! I'll try to tweak a little more on my memory timings. I'm just so limited with this K7S5A, the only overclocking feature I have is to increase the FSB.(100,133,138,143,150,166)

Have you considered using DDR ram?
It would be interesting to see how things run "real world" with DDR as opposed to your PC133.

I am sure your bench marks would be better but I wonder if you would notice the difference in the way you use the computer.

DDR is a good buy now, and I would be very interested in your qualitative observations.
I am getting ready to buy that same board. I am waiting for my income tax refund check.

thank you for your time and have a good day

badgers said:
Have you considered using DDR ram?
It would be interesting to see how things run "real world" with DDR as opposed to your PC133.

I am sure your bench marks would be better but I wonder if you would notice the difference in the way you use the computer.

DDR is a good buy now, and I would be very interested in your qualitative observations.
I am getting ready to buy that same board. I am waiting for my income tax refund check.

thank you for your time and have a good day

Yeah, I have already ordered a stick of ddr from crucial. I couldn't
resist the price. I don't know what happen, but I enabled dma
again and increased my setting to 9x150 and my pc is rock stable.

Back