• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new overclocker's Linux!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so now I have tried the screen=800x600(Which my monitor can easily do) and the radeon options. The screen flickered a few times then it tried the modules for Vesa. Then then the screen flickered again and is said it was trying the modules for fbdev. Then it gave me this error... "No suitable X-Server found for your card." Any ideas? Thanks again... I'm going to go try the xmodule=ATI next...

I've also tried the ATI xmodule and it does the same as I posted above...

I have used both Mandrake and Redhat with this video card. I'm currently typing this on redhat 8 so I know that my card does work in some cases. I'm just wondering if it's just Knoppix?

Has anyone had troubles loading the kernel besides me on TechnoMancer? I'm not sure why but the kernel starts to boot and then it just goes to a black screen and stops. im thinking maybe its because i have 1gb of ram on the computer. The gfx card is the Radeon 9100.

I only had that kind of trouble when I made a few builds that were larger than 700mb. Eidolon is not the newest, Technomancer is. But Technomancer still needs some work since my custom menus are not getting loaded up for some reason.

knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA

might help you Krieger....

How does this compare to Mandrake 9.1.

I am still pretty new, but Mandrake was easy to install, everything was included (nForce Drivers, ATI drivers etc) the CD was premounted, etc etc.

This sounds like everything I want in a OS, and just wondering if it's as easy to setup / maintain / run?

The install is easy compared to Debian or Gentoo installs, but not compared to mandrake or redhat installs. It also does not have many of the GUI configuration widgets found in redhat or mandrake. But I think most people could use it as their first linux. I've already gotten a few people here to try it as their first linux distro, and some have even hard drive-installed it.

I'd still suggest a week or more playing with a noobie distro just to get used to the command line interface of linux. Debian's apt-get is really nice though and it might be worth the effort to spend 30-60 minutes installing and tweaking Knoppix or a knoppix variant such as overclockix, just for that feature alone.

Essentially, if you can boot the CD with no trouble, all you need to do is follow the guide for hdd-install on knoppix.net. There's basically one script that you run and you answer a few questions and it install everything for you. Afterwards, there is some tweaking that needs to be done if you want it to perform and be as secure as any standard linux distro (for instance- there are no passwords in overclockix until you make passwords- things like that).

Also, I've learned that the folding init script is not run by default after a hdd-install of overclockix. I made a post where I covered the post hdd-install steps required to set prime95, seti, or folding to run at boot-time.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227022

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I am still trying to get Americas Army working on easy Mandrake 9.1. I guess when I get that working, I'll give Overclockix a try =)

I also like the name OvercLinux... kinda catchy =)

Oh man I downloaded a whole 700MB ISO just for Prime95 but it doesn't work!

This is what I do, I just copy prime-net to the ramdrive and run it there... but it gets sooooooo tedious as I have to do it everytime...

Better get this fixed ASAP dude, it's really just simple I can't believe you missed it...

Yeah, the prime95 bug got reported awhile ago. I did work on it just recently, but I wound up blowing up my iso in oher ways by trying to change other things.

Maybe when I stop working 60-70 hours per week, I'll spend some time on overclockix 3.3.

Hey Arkaine dude sorry man I just got frustrated with it... 700MB on dial-up :D

Hope you get it fixed, it's gonna rock

You see I just want some stability testing after I tweak my OC but I don't wanna boot my HDD coz it might get corrupted. Any chance you can make "lite" distro that includes only cpuburn, memtest, prime95???

Right now I'm using stresslinux, but it doesn't have prime95...

I can probably do that once I have some freetime. But you might wind up waiting awhile.... You could just get stress testers that run off a floppy.

ok i had to post backsome stuff i shared with arkaine23

i hated linux as it just screwed with my mind endlessly.
i still try and use it and learn tho,but anyhow this overclockix is great!

first the D/L ran at 380kbs for me :D
also ran like a dream on my new rig.
i could even surf the web once it booted up and had no configurations i needed to fix.
plus i didnt even have to D/L folding again!

i will be holding onto this tightly as i always need a cd bootable os to test my machines.plus if i want xtra folders i dont need a hdd.

dude thanks for all the hard work!
also has inspired me to D/L fodora red hat and try once again.
if i dont like it who cares i found a linux i can actually use!

:D

Overclockix is very easy to install too. Or you can pack around a cheap 64mb usb pen drive and use the persistent home feature. That way you can preserve changes you make to the desktop settings, files you create/download, and of course your folding progress. Just create the persistent home and then boot with the cheatocde:

knoppix home=scan

You'll still have to run cfgfold though b/c my folding init scripts are evil and will overwrite your personal client.cfg upon reboot. :eek: So always remember to run cfgfold or else your WU's will be mine!

Its got plenty of tools if you want to learn to use them. Resizing partitions, recovering data, photo-editing, imaging drives, etc, etc, etc....

Look for a couple of new ISO's soemtime in the next few months. One will be gentoo based (jollix actually) and feature 3d drviers for nvidia and ati cards. You should be able to play some games installed on a windows hdd using wine (it was built and tested to run HL/CS). It's optimized for Athlons but will work on other i686 CPU's.

The other will be based off of ClusterKnoppix, and will be everything you need to setup a folding yatta-monster, or even a real mosix-style cluster for 3d rendering.

Both will feature all of the standard Overclockix goodness I can cram onto the CD's.

If anyone wants to be involved in these projects other than answering my occaisional questions here on the forums, do drop me a PM or come chat on the overclockix forum. To give credit where credit is due, some real Linux masters create these things. I only tweak and add features on top of their original work.

Last edited:
Back