• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightStalker999

It was suggested that I move this thread here so here goes. I am looking at building a new rig in the near future. I pretty much have most of the components picked out. But could use some advice with some of the others.
Current list:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ Value VX (1Gb)
x800xl or 6800gt, suggestions on brand and which card are welcome.

Now I need a case and a powersupply. This will primarily be used for gaming and occasional multimedia with roommates big screen tv and will have overclocking in its future but am going to run stock for the first month at least. Let me know if i am leaving anything out.
Current components that will stay:
Keyboard: Dell Logitech Wireless, Saitek Eclipse
Mouse: Dell Logitech Wireless, thinking about another so i can leave the wireless for the tv.
Mousepad: Radioshack wrist cushioned mousepad
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 120
TV: Roommate's 57" widescreen mitsubishi HDTV
Speakers: 6.1 JBL can't remember the product name
Hard drives: 120 gig WD caviar, 120 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm
DVD burner, CD rom drive

Oh yeah and someone that knows, given my multimedia setup, would I do better to get a soundcard or leave it at onboard. I'm looking at audigy 2 zs, zs gamer, and zs plat.

Thx in advance

NightStalker999 said:
It was suggested that I move this thread here so here goes. I am looking at building a new rig in the near future. I pretty much have most of the components picked out. But could use some advice with some of the others.
Current list:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ Value VX (1Gb)
x800xl or 6800gt, suggestions on brand and which card are welcome.

Now I need a case and a powersupply. This will primarily be used for gaming and occasional multimedia with roommates big screen tv and will have overclocking in its future but am going to run stock for the first month at least. Let me know if i am leaving anything out.
Current components that will stay:
Keyboard: Dell Logitech Wireless, Saitek Eclipse
Mouse: Dell Logitech Wireless, thinking about another so i can leave the wireless for the tv.
Mousepad: Radioshack wrist cushioned mousepad
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 120
TV: Roommate's 57" widescreen mitsubishi HDTV
Speakers: 6.1 JBL can't remember the product name
Hard drives: 120 gig WD caviar, 120 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm
DVD burner, CD rom drive

Oh yeah and someone that knows, given my multimedia setup, would I do better to get a soundcard or leave it at onboard. I'm looking at audigy 2 zs, zs gamer, and zs plat.

Thx in advance

First about the sound card, I see you have a DSP receiver so you will not benefit much from getting a sound card because your computer sends a digital signal to the receiver then he decodes it. I know I made a mistake when I got my sound card, I know if I have had the DFI right now I wouldn't bother.

Video: The X800XL is much better value then the 6800gt, its same performance level and less money :) I think you can get one for 249$ at Monarch.

PSU: One word Fortron-Bluestorm, its one of the best and still one of the cheapest out there. I think there is a 79$ sale somewhere, look in Cyber Deals.

How much for the VX BTW?

What's you budget on the case?

What cooling have you had in mind?

I second the videocard and the psu. The Case is more of a personal preference so I would just choose whatever you feel suits your needs. I'd ditch the wireless mouse unless it was the mx1000(only mouse i've ever used which doesn't lag). As for a wired mouse, I use a Razer Diamondback and it ROCKS.

-1cem4n

Thanks for the advice on the sound card. I was actually thinking of going with the x800xl unless someone gave me a convincing argument for the gt. The pricing for the RAM runs just under 110. I'm kind of a noob as to cooling and cases, so I don't know what my budget should be for those. Here's the list now(All prices rounded):

190.00 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
250.00 Radeon x800xl
110.00 OCZ Value VX RAM (1Gb)
130.00 DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
65.00 Fortron BlueStorm

745.00 Total So Far

Let me be the first to call me a noob if I am wrong, but wouldn't everything stock be enough to cool this thing pre-OC?

Well since your budget is 110 for RAM, I'd go with Corsair Value Select from Newegg. The timings are 2-4-4-8 and are 85 dollars i think.

-1cem4n

With that CPU and mobo you will need RAM capable of reaching 270-280, sadly it doesn't come cheap. The OCZ Value VX is probably BH chips and you can expect around 240 out of them with decent voltage. Question is how much are you willing to invest and how much of an OC do you expect?
You should also read this: Link
If you are going for Value RAM and don't plan on OCing it (as you can't oc the ram to run 270 1:1) I would go with some low latency Value RAM for example: Link or Link

When I said Fortron Blue Storm I referred to the 500W version.

For a case I would go with what ever you like but make sure you have at least 2 120mm fans. It funny but more fans you have its going to make less noise as you can run them on low voltage and make them nearly silent.

Cooling, well I can personally recommend you the ThermalTake Sonic Tower. It needs a decent air flow trough the case but is dead silent, just look at my OC and voltages and its fanless.
Other good coolers are Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, ThermalTake Big Typhoon and in the more expensive call you have the ThermalRight XP-90 and XP-120.

Back