• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My kid's new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I've been tossing the idea around to build my kid a new-ish little upgrade for a little while. He'll be a Senior for next year of High School ( yayy!) and he's such a really good kid. Doesn't ask for expensive toys/clothes/things. So I wanted to surprise him with a total room make-over and a new rig. He's not a PC gamer so he doesn't need alot of horsepower. His thing is music videos, school work and google with the occasional Minecraft. Since nothing was wrong with my previous Tomahawk board, I'll be using it for his rebuild.

His current rig is my old intel rig:

ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 board
i7 7700K w/ BeQuiet Dark Rock Cooler
16gb of Gskill Camo 3600
Samsung 980 Pro Nvme (can't remember size)
Evga 1080Ti Hybrid
Seasonic Prime Titanium 650w Psu
Antec P180 steel tank case

The upgrade:

MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 3600X w/ TR Assassin King 120 SE Cooler
16gb Gskill Camo (will upgrade to 32gb at some point)
Crucial P5 Plus 500gb Nvme or T-Force Vulcan Z 480gb SSD
Evga 1080Ti Hybrid
Seasonic Prime Titanium 650w Psu
Antec P180

If I leave his wallpaper and screen saver the same, he'll never know the rig was switched, lol. Only way he does know is when I remove the side panel of the case and show him the parts. He'll go: "oh...nice.. Thanks dad", gives me a hug and closes the door to his room. That's the thanks I get :rofl:

Will update with pics.

Alright then, das pic as promised. Cable management in this steel box is atrocious at best. I did what I could with zipties. Pretty zippy for a 3600X. Kid's gonna enjoy it and when I get a 5950X upgrade, I'll give him my 5900X.

newrig.jpg

Back