• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 13700k build - need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptm

Registered
WoooooHooooo! OK, time for a new build.

My old Asus Maximus VII 4790k needs to be replaced, to be honest I haven’t event used that desktop in 2 years. I had a lot of cracked software and way too many issues before I said F it…

So…

Old system:

MOBO = Asus Maximus Vii Hero

I7 - 4790k

RAM = 16gb total - Gskill DDR3 2133 11-11-11-30

EVGA GTX 780 FTW 384bit

Sound Blaster ZX 116db w/600 ohm headphone amp

3 Western Digital 7200rpm HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)

1 Crucial SSD 240gb

1 Samsung SSD ??? haven’t pulled it out yet…

1 blue tooth card = Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I

2 Asus Optical drives = DRW 24B1ST

CASE = Thermaltake Chaser MK I

PSU = EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 80+ Platinum full modular

New System: BUDGET $3500.00 I can go more but would rather not

******* I do not care if you can see pretty lights or not – not my thing – I want function over pretty… ******

CPU I7
- 137900K $379.99

COOLING – from what I have read, I need liquid cooling, which seems soooo wrong…. Liquid and electricity…. Oh yeah!

MOBO Z790 = ? $250 to OMG

RAM = 32gb min = DDR5 = I am used to Gskill

GPU = Thought about a 3070

Sound Card = Creative Sound Blaster AE7 $229.99

M.2 2280 = Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB $169.99 // 2 TB $229.00

* OS and software or just OS

M.2 2280 = Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB $229.99

* Software

SSD/HDD = ????

SSD Samsung 870 EVO 4TB $379.99

HDD Western Digital WD Blue 6TB SATA III $89.99

Very tempted by WD – just load pics, docs, etc. on this. Price is just sweet.

2 Optical Drives = used to be 1 to rip and 1 to burn = either way need two drives

LG WH14NS40 $49.99

LG WH16NS40 $59.99

Case = no clue what to do, so few have at least 2 optical drive bays // I am all up for reusing my old case. If I can find a case with 3 of the 5.25” external bays I would be happy.

PSU = would like to reuse the old PSU I have if possible

OS = don’t you love how this is last = lol = Windows 11 (should I get pro?) $199.99 w/USB

Keyboard = I am old school – wired used to be the bomb, but I am getting used to Bluetooth

Mouse = I am old school – wired used to be the bomb, but I am getting used to Bluetooth

Monitor = need to be able to see text and modify pictures with ease, more important than gaming or watching movies.

I do currently have an Asus VE258Q which has been a good soldier, that I will keep and hoop up on the side.

Looking for a monitor, bigger, for text, photoshop, indesign, etc. for work.

GOALS:

Be able to rip the 3500+ CDs I have and store for SD card / USB for vehicle

Make CDS for family, Christmas and such

Be able to record / copy Vinyl and cassette –

I really hope my old Sound Forge software works on Windows 11

I am in the middle of creating a family cookbook – goes back 650 years, so wow… I need to restart and redo and make simple. Figure 2500+ recipes. Family has owned multiple restaurants over the years

Need to play nice with Photoshop, Indesign, Affinity, Publisher and other marketing type software.

Hardcore Excel spreadsheets – I am getting tired of having lag in Excel… GRRR~

Maybe rip some videos and burn

Clean up pictures that I have had forever and burn onto cd or usb for family

Games

I miss playing World of Warcraft – lol

The boys have been trying to get me in to Far Cry ? COD ? and other stuff, not sure if I will ever have time but I would hate to be embarrassed by hardware. If I fail let it be me.

What did I forget ?????

Wish I could set up the old system to become a NAS – case has the HDD space but had so many issues using Windows 7 Ultimate and all the cracked software….. yeah, I know self inflicted pain. Lol

Hey dude,

I just built a similar system to yours just the other week. I don't have much experience into the dense details of all the models but I could tell you my choices, why and what I learned looking up the hardware.

The i7 13700 is a nice chip and yeah it does run quiet warm for a chip. Liquid cooling is probably be the best way to go. The AIO pumps might seem like a bit more expensive than the CPU fan but remember your getting fans along with the CPU heating moduel, so its not too much more expensive and not too difficult to install. You will need specific brackets to mount on intel CPUs but that will come in the kit, and almost all of them come with pre-applied thermal paste. From what I saw on youtube, many people were saying that the i7 did start pushing higher temps compared to 12th gen stuff.

For the Mobo, all the new z790 are great peices are hardware with slightly different features. I looked only into the ASUS boards but the competitors like MSI will have equal specs, althought I did find the ASUS ones look better. The BIOS is something to be desired though. There are great videos out there on youtube that compare them but as far as I see it, any choice will be good, just do a bit of watching to see which one fits what you want to do. I think some the of z690s do fit DDr5 if you're trying to save money but from what I understand that might limit the speed of your ram. I have heard conflicting reports about this and honestly don't understand the technical of it all.

This guy does a pretty good job at breaking down the different models. In my opinion though, the Strix is good value for money and im pretty happy with the board.

I went with the STRIX 3070 TI because I got it on discount from Bestbuy but all the youtube videos were saying that without any discount the TI doesnt have the same price to performance as a normal 3070 would. You might push out alittle more but it's not noticeable. I would have gone with a 3070 if not for the Bestbuy discount which pretty much made it only $50 more. You won't be disappointed with a 3070 if you're playing on 144hz 1440p. The TUF gaming are also a respectable GPU/MoBo for price performance with many of the Tech guys online saying most users won't notice the differnce between the TUF and the higher end models. I have also heard that the new intel GPUs are pretty sweet. Luckly it is not as bad as it use to be but it really just depends on whats in stock/closest to MSRP. The used market has great deals but beware because alot of miners are dumping the GPUs they mined and overclocked on. I did a quick google search in USA Best buy and it looks like there are similar deals as to the ones here in Canada, so I would try there first for the GPU.

You RAM is a good choice. Just make sure you don't accidently get the ones with lower read/write rates, I got the 5600 right now but I think the z790s can pretty much work with the fastest DDR5 out there right now.

For M.2 drives and SSD I am assuming you want the HDD for files you currently have, but if you don't need that 6tb right away I would personally just stick to m.2/sata SSDs and get more afew months down the road if you need it. Also, if you dont need that extra 2tb on the other m.2 right away, you could also get that later on if you want to spend more on the main build. I put about 220gb abunch of games(MF2, Dual universe, Squad) +windows on my 1tb and I dont see myself using anywhere close to 1tb for atleast 6 months. I would say between samsung and WD just get whatever model had the better deal.

For your case I cant be much help there, I went with a 5000D corsair which doesnt have drive slots. Since you are looking for them, you might be able to find a good deal as they are alittle out of style right now. If youre not too picky about style you can get one second hand for pretty cheap, just make sure it fits a ATX Mobo. I like corsair cases but you can get just as good ones for a good deal if you look around. Another option is to pull your old case (if it fits a ATX) and then place your old hardware in some $30 case you find used. That would free up some budget for GPU but I would understand why you would want a new look and feel XD

For peripherals, you cant go wrong with Razer IMO. Steel series, Corsair are also good brands. If youre looking for less of a gaming look to the keyboard, Duckyone and other highend Mechanical Keyboard companies make some good stuff. It all comes from China but what doesn't now and days. Best option is to go into the store and test them out. You will know just from the feel if they are right for you.

For monitor, youtubes going to be your best friend for that one. There are dozens of "144hz" monitors that will only do 100. Dell, HP, ASUS would all be solid choices, just like the GPU, best buy would be a good place to start. I just went by there not to long ago and they have good deals on monitors. They are alot of good discounts that are bad monitors though so watch out for that. I got a 1440p 144hz 31.5 inch dell for about $500, so many around $350-400 US.

For Windows, you might be able to find sellers online who will give discounts but I am not too sure how reliable that is. I have been watching some Linus you videos who has an ad for a discount windows version. Again, double research anything before doing anything like that cuz I didnt risk it and just paid the $199 cost.

Including the prices you gave, plus $350 for a Mobo, $750 for a GPU and assuming you're getting all the drives and storage as you wanted I got $3,182. An AIO will cost you around $150-200. A case could be anywhere from $50 to 200 depending.

All in all, your build looks solid. It will do everything you want it to do and if it doesnt, you can always overclock it. You will notice the biggest difference in photoshop and programs that eat up your cores. At this point just look for a good Mobo/GPU pairing (dont have to match brands/names like I did but some GPUs won't get the full use of the Z790) and fill in your storage/drives/perifs from the budget left over. You are pretty much would be coming right on budget, minus the monitor keyboard and mouse. Who knows, maybe someone will get you a nice mount and keyboard for Christmas if you ask nicely XD

Its a great time to buy a PC. Much better than the last couple years. I hope you enjoy!

MoBo:
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
CPU:
i7 13700K
GPU:
ROG-STRIX-RTX3070TI-8G-GAMING
Memory:
VENGEANCE (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz
Cooling:
iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR QL120 x3
Rear Stock 5000d Fan

Peripherals:
Razer Deathadder V2
Razer Ornata

Power:
EVGA 850w Gold

Last edited:
Reactions: ptm
As far as cases with 5.25" bays still, that are quality, that list is getting real slim these days. I went with a Nexstar USB3 external bay for my Plextor burner and it serves me very well. Maybe it's best to not constrain your case selection by that. So many nice cases out there, they just don't cater to ODDs any more.

That's a lot of machine for casual gaming at best. Let's pick your monitor first, and let that decide the level of GPU. There's a few places you could save money on this build if you want.

No, you don't need water cooling. If you're going to work your CPU hard and often, a big dual tower air cooler will be fine. Otherwise, you could probably be happy with a quality single tower as well.

Any chance we might see that old rig in the classifieds? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ptm
As far as cases with 5.25" bays still, that are quality, that list is getting real slim these days. I went with a Nexstar USB3 external bay for my Plextor burner and it serves me very well. Maybe it's best to not constrain your case selection by that. So many nice cases out there, they just don't cater to ODDs any more.

That's a lot of machine for casual gaming at best. Let's pick your monitor first, and let that decide the level of GPU. There's a few places you could save money on this build if you want.

No, you don't need water cooling. If you're going to work your CPU hard and often, a big dual tower air cooler will be fine. Otherwise, you could probably be happy with a quality single tower as well.

Any chance we might see that old rig in the classifieds? ;)
As for monitors... I did some research last night.
I am over thinking things, too much information.

I need a monitor that represents colors properly due to work for marketing purposes. Nothing bigger than 30". I was thinking of going with a 1440p or 1080. If I want 4k I have a 48" LG C1 wall mounted above my desk.
My old monitors: The main is an Asus VE258Q 1080 and then I had 2 other LG W1952TQ-TFT one on each side. This worked out great for multiple spreadsheets, pictures, copying and modifying, etc.

I figure this time around I will keep the old Asus and add a nicer main monitor although I really don't need to keep the Asus. Desk space is getting a little thin with the work laptop, my laptop, and then the laptop to code & diag. the Mercedes.

Case: since cases are getting pretty thin, I think I will just reuse my old Thermaltake Chaser. It is a full-size tower, has 4 external 5.25 bays (if you pop out front covers) and has 6 internal hdd bays. Currently it has 2 opticals (had a 3rd but it died years ago). I can take the dead optical out and put a front panel in for USBC / Card Reader / newer USB ports. And update the two Asus opticals.

As for classifieds... lol I have no idea. I have never thought of selling old parts before. I should go and look for my old towers from previous builds if the wife didn't toss them when I wasn't looking. lol

Back