• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordLiverpool

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I'm building a new PC. But I have some leftovers from a 2nd PC:
  • 29" Dell Monitor.
  • Logitech Keyboard & Mouse.
  • 2TB WD HDD.
  • 500GB Samsung SSD. (Too small?)
  • NVidia GTX1070Ti GPU.
I'm missing a few parts:
  1. Tower Case.
  2. Fans.
  3. PSU.
  4. Motherboard.
  5. CPU.
  6. Thermal Paste.
  7. RAM.
  8. Extra USB Ports? (I figured 8 x USB3 is needed these days.)
  9. WiFi Card.
  10. Win 11 licence.
I've probably missed something really obvious!
I've got a budget of approximately £1000/€1300.
This PC will be a workhorse for my partner.
Any advice, help, hints and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Cool!

A couple of questions/notes...

- What type of work does your partner do? Any gaming?
- Tower case.........full tower? Mid-tower? Small/ITX?
- Fans typically come with the case, but, if it needs more/you want more, we can add them.
- Wi-Fi card (integrated Wi-Fi) can be on the motherboard we choose, so you're set there without a 'card', per say.
- As far as extra USB ports, how many do you need? Most motherboards these days have AT LEAST 6x USB Type-A ports plus a Type-C port. Also, your case typically has another 2 Type-A and a Type-C on the front. Just trying to see if you really need a USB hub
- You'll also need a heatsink for the CPU as many do not come with one (depending on the CPU)

@EarthDog

She does video editing, using Adobe Premiere Pro. So sadly no gaming! :)

I like a mid-tower, as they tend to withstand the knocks and bumps of life, whilst still fitting under a desk.

I've always been starved of USB ports in the past. But if the Motherboard and Case have 6+ ports then I guess that's plenty for:
  1. Keyboard.
  2. Mouse.
  3. Webcam.
  4. USB Stick.
  5. External HDD
  6. Something else...
Doh! heatsink, of course, thanks.

Three SSD's would be cool:
  1. Windows 11.
  2. My Documents.
  3. Videos Files.
Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor (£361.69 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core Liquid CPU Cooler (£62.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B760M GAMING PLUS WIFI Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£138.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL46 Memory (£80.06 @ Clove Technology)
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£90.56 @ Clove Technology)
Case: Antec NX360 ATX Mid Tower Case (£51.53 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650 (2023) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £860.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-11 14:24 GMT+0000

Just messing around as I was having a late lunch. Do not take this too literally, but is an illustration of what you could go for assuming reusing old GPU.

For a similar price, you can go Intel 14700KF like I showed, or AMD 7900X for very close price (adjust mobo as needed). Intel side is 8P+12E cores, whereas AMD side is 12 cores. I don't know how Premier Pro scales so I'll have to leave that as further research.
The AIO cooler I picked is similar to one I used in the past and is ok. I don't know if there are better in a similar price bracket. I would actually go air but I don't know what's the value spot at the moment. Don't need separate paste, just use what comes with it.
The mobo has 8 USB ports built in and headers for up to another 9, case allowing. It is a random pick from me as a cheaper model with wifi. I'm making the assumption as a work system there wont be any extreme OC attempts on it, so something basic will suffice.
I went with 32GB of DDR5 ram because it isn't worth going less, and for this use case I'm guessing more ram doesn't hurt. There's room in budget to consider 48/64GB if really needed. Speed chosen is low, but the max officially supported by the Intel CPU. Again, as a work system I think going for safe options is not a bad idea.
The SSD I'm using a value orientated 2TB as example. Personally I'm not a fan of intentionally buying multiple drives, EarthDog may disagree! At the end of the day you'll need to balance cost and capacity to the use case, which I can't know. Personally I'd use the 2TB for all of OS, user data and videos, and the old drives can be spare capacity. In that case I'd pick a higher end SSD though. Another option could be use the old 500GB SSD for OS, apps and user files assuming they're not too big. Use the 2TB as dedicated video editing space and the old 2TB HD for longer term storage.
PSU is a balance between sufficiency and quality. Maybe consider higher power unit if you want more future expansion possibility. Unless a very high end GPU is on the radar this should suffice for the mid range.
The case I only listed as I got one recently myself. It's the cheapest one I found locally with some airflow to it. Does the job of holding stuff together but nothing special.

Some components above do come with RGB fans, which might not be desired. You can turn it off on the case at least.

I didn't include OS but left plenty of headroom for it. If you go for the 100% legit options they're pretty costly. There are far cheaper options which may be more questionable but in general I've not had a problem activating cheap keys.

Back