• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A.S. 2 vs A.S.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Just back from mini-vacation

Anyone seen a head to head comparison of Arctic Silver 2 versus regular Arctic Silver?

Secondly, anyone experienced the (for lack of a better term) recombination of A.S. into little silver flecks which insist upon bonding to the core surface?

Hoot

Ordered some A.S. 2 and will report when it comes in, though it will be hard to honestly say that taking the HSF off. Degreasing it and the core and putting it back on, that I will be able to control small variables that can contribute to a degree or two. We'll see.

Still wondewr about this recombination phenomenon I've observed.

Hoot

I can't remember where I read a comparison test between the two but the result was ~1C difference. :)

As II is sold in 3g tubes and is cheaper to buy. Most people dont need the bigger tubes to use once or twice. It is also supposed to be 99% pure. I have not done any tests myself, However, I saw a review at www.ocprices.com

Thanks Tweak. Pretty much a "horse apiece". Looks like I'm sitting good on AS for the rest of my life, or its shelf life. It will also get put to work on other non-PC heatsink mounts. Now what to do with my 4 oz. tube of Dow-Corning 3140 :)

One of the big name reviewers had mentioned not being fond of AS because of some tendency to "turn to foil" or words to that effect. I'm still at a loss as to why it recombines into little flecks that bond pretty well to my core and have to be shaved off with a razor blade. I'm wondering is there is some galvanic reaction between As and copper HS bases. I did not have this problem with my aluminum HSF. Also, a small voltage potential can be observed from the HSF to chassis ground. It produces about 3 ma of current. Another footnote is the fleckes seem to grow on the printed information on the core. Very interesting phenomenon.

Hoot

Back