• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acrylic Case Availability and Popularity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Pardon my question, as this is more a means to figure out why than to actually ask for any help (I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules).

I've just recently built my first systems and was looking at building another. I started looking at some acrylic cases, but I've realized that they're not nearly as popular or as common as they used to be.

Is there any particular reason why they're not around as much? Is a flashy build frowned upon now?

I really would like to build a system where the internal components are laid bare (without building a testing bench), and I wouldn't mind it being flashy. Is this a sentiment not common amongst computer builders nowadays?

well they tend to be cheap and simply designed, its a difficult material to work with, although on the other end of the scale there are some very pricey Danger Den arcylic cases made for super water cooling, look them up, i think they make a few air cases.

Yeah, those Danger Den cases are really nice, and definitely pricey. Though I do suppose you get what you pay for, even moreso with computers and computer accessories it seems. What is your opinion on the ClearPC cases? I've been looking at their Cube Classic case which seems to have great airflow.

The other acrylic cube cases I've looked at seem to neglect the fact that most users will want a discreet graphics card installed and have the fan holes drilled so that the airflow is blocked by any PCI cards.

Thanks for your input by the way, it's greatly appreciated :)

the issues i see from those cases by a quick google search, is the fact their designs are made for 80/92mm fans, whereas 120mm fans are becoming the norm, 80/92 is still viable but noisy, but my opinion them will vary from yours, the only see-thru case i would own is a Danger Den but im sure the others are perfectly functional.

*** i retract part of what i said, the Grande II on their website uses alot of 120mm fans, so is very viable***

Last edited:
I saw that in my searches as well, though that seems to apply mainly to their older products. They do have the Cube Classic case though, which has 5 120mm fan holes by default. Do you think I'd be okay going with that or would the Danger Den one have any benefits that this one lacks?

As do I. I prefer airflow to be front to back with nothing obstructing the flow. Honestly, the CCC is the only cube case I've come across that has this design. Not to mention the gullwing door (yes, I'm a sucker for bling factor) and that they're a Canadian company, which will make shipping much cheaper and (hopefully) faster.

Thanks again, I think you've helped cement my decision. I really appreciate all the help you've given.

As do I. I prefer airflow to be front to back with nothing obstructing the flow. Honestly, the CCC is the only cube case I've come across that has this design. Not to mention the gullwing door (yes, I'm a sucker for bling factor) and that they're a Canadian company, which will make shipping much cheaper and (hopefully) faster.

Thanks again, I think you've helped cement my decision. I really appreciate all the help you've given.

thats alright, its what a forum is for, go for the CCC then, be sure to post pictures!

Most definitely! I look forward to all the comments and constructive criticism as I'm sure it won't be a perfect build first time 'round :p

I remember my friend had one about 8 years ago! As others have touched upon, the acrylic cases are more or less frowned upon because they have less than adequate cooling.

Yeah, I've read about that. Acrylic doesn't dissipate heat like metal enclosures would. I'm thinking with 5 120mm fans, that should hopefully be adequate to keep temps under control? I could always look into water cooling in the future if I find the temps are still too high and I'll definitely be if I OC it.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of case did he have? How many fans was he using?

Ah, I see. I hope the cube case will have better cooling than that tower. If not, like I said, there's always water cooling ;) Would be the perfect excuse to dive right in.

Just thought I'd weigh in.

Clearpc is a great company and makes a fabulous product. I first got into modding because I picked up a discarded standard minitower way back in 2001. Frank (who I believe is still the owner) helped me put together all the missing pieces. Well, now I'm some 20+ scratch builds (and 40+ DIY benching stations), 2 CPU magazine covers later. But it was my experience with a clearpc that obviously influenced my builds.

In any case, a couple of notes about clearpc:

1) 3/16th acrylic. Hefty, solid, and much more modifyable. I easily converted all my original 80mm fan holes (remember 2001) to 120mm with a hole saw.

2) As a general rule, their products are NOT plastic panels held together by corner brackets (look carefully at cheap acrylic cases). They are generally single sheets bent, and seamed by welding. This makes them more solid, but potentially more difficult to mod as you can't disassemble them.

3) Feel free to chat up Frank or the staff at clearpc--they know their modding and can do a lot of custom tailoring.

4) You better get good at the zen art of cable arranging.

5) Have a dust control plan

6) If you are having to rely on conduction of heat to the side panels of a case (I'm really how efficient do you think the conduction is from air to metal/plastic), your case does not have enough airflow

Couple of old pics from the turn of the century:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Acrylic clean cabling/Profile.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Acrylic clean cabling/Frontangle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Acrylic clean cabling/Topdown.jpg

Last edited:
Don't remember the specifics, but it was just a standard, generic acrylic case, loaded with 80mm LED fans and CCFL's.

:bang head That case brings back nothing but bad memories. I had to work with one of those for a school project and i hated it. We ended up taking a hole saw too it to drill holes for some 120mm fans and ended up cracking 2 panels. The srews never fit right and the over all quality of the case on its best day was a 1 out of 5.

Back