• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

after reading the amd dually article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm.... my cpu2 is consistantly about 10 degrees celsius above cpu1. is this because my fortron ps, doesnet have the fan on the bottom??

should i try to find one with a fan on the bottom?

currently: 150 * 14 = 2100 ghz
cpu1: 57*C
cpu2: 71*C
case: 31*C

voltage: 1.66v

still testing with prime

no, i have the antec true 550 and the fortron 530 and i have tried them both in both of my dual Asus boards...

there is at most a 1 degree difference in the cpu temps when the fan is on the bottom...

i have had the very different cpu temps before (where one was 7-10C warmer than the other)....and it was one of two things:

1) too much artic silver thermal grease---needed thinner coat---as thin as possible with still a coat...

2) heat sink was on in the reverse orientation (because it was easier to put on that way)---when i put it on correctly the temps were the same...

i have also heard that dual boards sometimes report one cpu temp as higher than the other due to:

1) incorrect readings
2) higher voltage on one cpu versus the other---which causes higher temps---although 10C higher is too much higher for slightly higher voltages...

but i can tell you that the fortron with the intake fan not on the bottom has NOT made more than 1 degree higher temps than the antec truepower 550 on either machine...

sifu quoc said:
hmmm.... my cpu2 is consistantly about 10 degrees celsius above cpu1. is this because my fortron ps, doesnet have the fan on the bottom??

should i try to find one with a fan on the bottom?

currently: 150 * 14 = 2100 ghz
cpu1: 57*C
cpu2: 71*C
case: 31*C

voltage: 1.66v

still testing with prime

It is normal for CPU2 to be hotter than CPU1. This is common to all MPX boards, except the Asus board. On the Asus board, CPU2 actually gets a little less Vcore than CPU1. This is to alleviate the issue and it works very well. I have an Asus and on it, CPU2 is about the same temp as CPU1. On all three of my MSI duallies and my Tyan duallie, CPU2 is always 5-10C hotter than CPU1.

Case airflow seems to have a big impact, too. If you are seeing 15C difference then you either have really bad case airflow or your CPU2 heatsink isn't mounted well, or something.

Back