• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Again: What videocard do I need...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Hello people!, Here´s another one of those threads about, help me to choose what videocard... I´ll do it as recommended on the sticky...:

1)system specifications:

CPU = E8600
Motherboard = Biostar Tpower I45
PCI-E / AGP = PCI/E (still choosing)
RAM = Gskill 2x2gb 1066ddr2 capable
PSU = Corsair HX620
Current Video Card = No one
Case: CM-690 with lots of Scythe Slipstream fans...
MONITOR: I intend to buy a 24" 1200p monitor (Probably will be Benq fp241w)

This system is under construction, and the next/last decision is about what videocard do I need to fullfill my needs.

2) What is your budget?
Don´t have much limitations, but Im thinking about 140-280 USD videocards, on 27/08/2008 newegg prices...

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?
>3years

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
--- a)
--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.
--- c)
--- d)
I really what a decent picture quality... I´m just worried about someday install a game and if it will not run decently at 1980x1200 (1200p), since the monitor will be of this size, i now i can´t go much cheapp... But I definetly don´t what to go costly sly or crossfire, couse i´m not a gamer... I sometimes play a litle bit of more strategy based games like warcraft. I want to buy the new starcraft.... Since I have a PS3, i´m not playing much games on it, but as I sayd, i want to be at least able to do it... With out all the bells and w...
Another doubt is about how sized should be the memmory on the videocard to store the textures at that resolution... 512mb will be fine?

5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play. If possible, please put them in the following sections:
- Direct3D Games =
- OpenGL Games = Quake3?

Want to play warcraft and starcraft (the new one) with decent fps and resolution... Maybe some 1st person shooter someday or a need for speed game... As I sayd, not a hardcore gamer...

I was thinking about:

---AT LEAST:
Radeon HD2900gt / Geforce 8600gt/GTS or 8800gs. But I´m not shure if it´s enough for that sized monitor on games... :beer:

---A POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
Radeon HD 3850 / 3870 / 4850 , GF 8800GTS , 9800gt/gtx... :eek:

---Would not like to need... but...
gtx260/280... HD4870... :bang head

Any input or expertise of people with 22/24 inch monitors would be appreciated... My main doubt is related to that resolution and how powerfull must be the videocard, since i never used such resolution

Sorry any mistakes, i´m not a native english speaker and have been away from the desktops for a while... coming back!

Last edited:
I'd say the 4850 because it's such a great deal and you don't sound like much of a gamer, so in general that would be the card I'd recommend to anybody these days.

This part worries me though:
I´m just worried about someday install a game and if it will not run decently at 1980x1200

In the next three years, you will definitely find plenty of games that would fit that bill with ANY card you buy today.

asumming you are willing to buy used hurry over to the classifieds and buy krags card deals like that dont come around every day and will prob be gone soon.

BTW he is selling a 4850 which is what most people would recommend in your listed price range anyways.

Ok, I think a 4850 will be nice.... How does it compare with the 3870? Much better?

What do you think about that resolution and the memory size? 512gb is fine or I should look into 1gb cards?

1gb

Based on theis newegg users experiencewith a 4850 1gb modelo of sapphire, i think i´ll need the extra memory...:

" Sapphire is one of ATI's most recommended brand's. This card doesn't dissapoint. Always make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI. If you have a 22' monitor or smaller that doesn't support high resolutions, your better off saving your money and buying a normal 512 4850 or going up and buying a 4870 (as many reviews have said.) If you use your computer with an HDTV or a 24'' or greater monitor, this is a good buy for a system. "

" This card runs reasonably quiet, draws less power than most higher end cards, plays hi def videos very nicely and runs games very well. The reason I bought a 1gig model is that I've been playing ES4 Oblivion at 1900-1200 with Quarl's texture pack 3 and high LOD modded texture packs, and this cards runs these settings without any stutters and still has the brute force left over to add 2x adaptive super sampling anti aliasing to the mix."

" I ordered it on Tuesday morning, and it came Wednesday afternoon with normal 3-5 day shipping cost. I love Newegg and I love the card. Runs pretty cool and quiet. I upgraded from an ati x800, so the performance boost for me is phenomenal. I'm a huge Valve fan, and this thing blazes through Counter-Strike:Source, Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat:Source, etc at 1920x1200 with all settings cranked (including AA). I can finally take full advantage of my 24" wide screen monitor."

"Pros: -1GB of video memory, great for high resolutions
-At 1920x1200 and 2560x1600, significantly faster than 512MB version
-Similar fps in games at 1920x1200, compared too 512MB version at 1680x1050

Cons: -No real need for this if you're playing at 1680x1050 or lower."

So I really think I´ll be better of with 1gb models

I have a 9800GX2 which only has 512mb of memory per GPU (1gb total), and I game at 1900 x 1200 on a 24" LCD. There are very, very few instances where only having 512mb affects performance. Crysis with 4xAA is one, that Oblivion example is another. But these are the exceptions to the rule - at least for now. Having greater than 512mb of video memory is a luxury much more than a necessity.

IMO, someone that games a lot at 19x12 should probably go for more than a single GPU solution. I love my 9800GX2 and for $285 (or less AR) it can go toe to toe in a price vs. performance competition with anything out there. A pair of 4850's in crossfire is another good option. Alternately, you could choose to go with a single 4850 now and add a second later if you find the performance lacking.

Ok, i finally bought the 24" monitor yesterday... So 1200p will be the resolution... Well, I´m seriously thinking about the 4850, 512/1gb model... Will weight the prices... As i do not game too much. I think i´ll not go toward sli, crossfire, x2 solutions... I think it´ll be overkill...

Back