• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling Tragedy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It has nothing to do with luck...

It's a matter of design, being familiar with my PC, and understanding my system will not kill itself if there is no fan directly on the heatsink. There is enough airflow from the case fans and PSU that the HSF is not crucial to the life of the system.

It's run fanless multiple times for days (as many as 5) without killing itself. It was also folding during these times. I wouldn't consider it luck that it lives, but maybe others would. :)

I.M.O.G. said:
It's run fanless multiple times for days (as many as 5) without killing itself. It was also folding during these times. I wouldn't consider it luck that it lives, but maybe others would. :)

Which prompts the question: why not go fan- and rubberbandless? ;)

i've done it.

and wire ties, and twist ties. not for the HSF, but to mount case fans on the case, sometimes i'll obtain a fan from the tech room where i work, but i don't have any mount screws. so i use a string or a rubber band or twist ties or wire ties or even a small bungie cord. then i boot it up with the extra fan, see how it affects my temps, and if it makes enough of a difference then i go to the store for some mount screws. if it doesn't make any noticable difference, i usually get mount screws anyway and just keep the fan there. even if it doesn't do much good, as long as it doesn't bring my temps up, then there's nothing wrong with a little extra airflow through the case.

i still have yet to chop a blowhole in the top of my case, for that 120mm fan i just got :p

Back