• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha Pal6035 (AMD 1.3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craig

Registered
I bought a PAL6035 and a YS Tech 60mm fan, I was going for the AMD 1.2ghz. now I,m thinking about going to there higher one. But I've read a lot about these thermaltake's and volcano II, will I have any problem's with cooling or anything else using my Pal6035 and the fan on a 1.3. I'll be using a Tornado 1000 case and a Asus A7M266. And the only thing's I need are the CPU and video card. If anyone has any comment's or advice let me know.

The HS part of the 6035 is a good design, but the 60mm fan is a bit dated. The combination may have been acceptable for a 50W cpu application, but at 80-100W, I think it will fall short. Consider the Delta 38cfm screamer if you don't mind noise, or an 80 to 60 mm fan adapter and use an 80mm fan. I also read somewhere that someone markets a 92 to 60mm fan adapeter. Now that would be a good yet quiet fan solution for the 6035. Just MHO.

Hoot

The reviews I've read on the fan adapters showed little performance increase. It appears that the best benefit from them is less noise.

Well noise is going to be a problem, I already have 4 case fans one on the MB chipset, one will be on the Vid card and the one for the heatsink, I had a choice to pick the delta fan but went with the other because of the noise. What do you think about that thermaengine.

Don't get me started... ;D

The ThermoEngine is a good HS when paired up with a loud fan like the 38cfm Delta. Here we go again. The problem is the 60mm fan form factor.

Regarding the fan adapters. My point was not that they take a given cfm fan and increase the cfm, but that in a larger form factor, like 80mm or 92mm, you can get the same airflow at a lower noise level. I have a 55cfm 92mm fan I got from Millisec and its very quiet for moving so much air. That's 14cfm more than the Delta screamer at something like half the dBa.

Hoot

The Alpha PAL-6035 is not up to the task of removing 60-72 Watts of heat from a T-Bird in a timely manner. I don't care if you use an adapter to mount a 120 mm YSTech on it, the PAL-6035 can't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I love Alpha products. If you want to use an Alpha HS, the PEP-66 with a Delta from Hell-a will do the job. Not spectacularly well, but does any HSF work really well on T-Birds? The truth is that OC'd T-Birds get so hot that forced air cooling is almost at the limit of performance. Either AMD will replace the core with one that produces reasonable heat, or Koolance will get a LOT of business.
AMD knows full well that T-Birds get too freakin' hot. It's time for them to quit messing about. Replace that damn core. NOW!

Until they do, they won't sell SMP Server configs for Athlons. Folks are disappointed that they can't buy dual T-Bird mainboards yet. Don't be! 150 Watts is too much heat to deal with, IMHO.

klosters64a (May 08, 2001 09:40 p.m.):
The Alpha PAL-6035 is not up to the task of removing 60-72 Watts of heat from a T-Bird in a timely manner. I don't care if you use an adapter to mount a 120 mm YSTech on it, the PAL-6035 can't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I love Alpha products. If you want to use an Alpha HS, the PEP-66 with a Delta from Hell-a will do the job. Not spectacularly well, but does any HSF work really well on T-Birds? The truth is that OC'd T-Birds get so hot that forced air cooling is almost at the limit of performance. Either AMD will replace the core with one that produces reasonable heat, or Koolance will get a LOT of business.
AMD knows full well that T-Birds get too freakin' hot. It's time for them to quit messing about. Replace that damn core. NOW!

Until they do, they won't sell SMP Server configs for Athlons. Folks are disappointed that they can't buy dual T-Bird mainboards yet. Don't be! 150 Watts is too much heat to deal with, IMHO.

I agree totally with "klosters64a" in regards to the ALPHA pal 6035.

Before i set up the T-bird in the Vapochill , i had it set up as an AIR cooled system for a couple of days using an Alpha 6035 .The air temp was about 14c to 18c ( fairly COOL) the ALPHA COULD NOT keep the temps to an acceptable level.

I had the t-bird up to 1540 ( not stable) , but the temps got as high as 60c.....WAY to hot!!!

Even at defualt 1333mhz full load temp was up to 55c.....NOT good considering the air temp was so cool.

This ALPHA worked great in the past on several P III CPU,s, "BUT DONT" underestimate how much heat these high end AMD chips put out!!! They really need something more efficient than the 6035.

I've got a Pal6035 on my 1.33 with the delta fan& AS2...
it doesn't perform too badly...could be better...prolly switch over to chilled water in a few weeks
running the 1.33 @ 1.5 1.85v
idle temps are Case: 26C Core: 44C
full load temps are Case: 29C Core: 49C

Blaze99 (May 10, 2001 05:19 p.m.):
I've got a Pal6035 on my 1.33 with the delta fan& AS2...
it doesn't perform too badly...could be better...prolly switch over to chilled water in a few weeks
running the 1.33 @ 1.5 1.85v
idle temps are Case: 26C Core: 44C
full load temps are Case: 29C Core: 49C

Those temp's look about standard for the PAL/Delta on an o/c'd 1.33.

craig (May 08, 2001 08:50 a.m.):
I bought a PAL6035 and a YS Tech 60mm fan, I was going for the AMD 1.2ghz. now I,m thinking about going to there higher one. But I've read a lot about these thermaltake's and volcano II, will I have any problem's with cooling or anything else using my Pal6035 and the fan on a 1.3. I'll be using a Tornado 1000 case and a Asus A7M266. And the only thing's I need are the CPU and video card. If anyone has any comment's or advice let me know.

I love that PAL, but the WBK38 for only $24 including delta screamer beats it by at least 3C at 1.4GHz.

Yo

Back