• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate location of radiator...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

Kryten

I was wondering if 2 birds could be killed with 1 stone..
1) air that goes into a case must come out in order to have airflow.
2) a radiator must have air flow in order to exchange heat.
Now what I have just said is definately not rocket science, but... if the combination of the 2 could be made more efficient it would have to be a win/win situation.
from what I can gather the cube type radiators would have to significantly reduce air flow out of the case.
and 2 due to its design it is limited to how much fan expose it could have.
what I was thinking was why not try and combine the 2 a little better, a core that was longer (allowing more fans to blow through) and 2 make it thinner so it doesn't restrict the air flow so badly.
Now I have seen a few auto trans coolers in some cases and I can't see why this wouldn't be more efficient, here is my thinking...
In a case that has wheels or simular (1 that is raised off the ground), cut some fan holes e.g. 2 or 3 x 120mm side by side in the bottom and mount the trans cooler to the bottom of case on the outside, now because it is underneath it shouldn't be visable so you would have a fairly free flowing case (air movement) and a very good exchange of air to cooling through the cooler, plus I see the added benifits of 1, less tubes running around in the case and 2 the pump could be smaller and wouldn't have to work as hard because it doesn't have to pump up hills or around a lot of bends.

Newby2OC (Apr 18, 2001 07:45 a.m.):
I was wondering if 2 birds could be killed with 1 stone..
1) air that goes into a case must come out in order to have airflow.
2) a radiator must have air flow in order to exchange heat.
Now what I have just said is definately not rocket science, but... if the combination of the 2 could be made more efficient it would have to be a win/win situation.
from what I can gather the cube type radiators would have to significantly reduce air flow out of the case.
and 2 due to its design it is limited to how much fan expose it could have.
what I was thinking was why not try and combine the 2 a little better, a core that was longer (allowing more fans to blow through) and 2 make it thinner so it doesn't restrict the air flow so badly.
Now I have seen a few auto trans coolers in some cases and I can't see why this wouldn't be more efficient, here is my thinking...
In a case that has wheels or simular (1 that is raised off the ground), cut some fan holes e.g. 2 or 3 x 120mm side by side in the bottom and mount the trans cooler to the bottom of case on the outside, now because it is underneath it shouldn't be visable so you would have a fairly free flowing case (air movement) and a very good exchange of air to cooling through the cooler, plus I see the added benifits of 1, less tubes running around in the case and 2 the pump could be smaller and wouldn't have to work as hard because it doesn't have to pump up hills or around a lot of bends.

Heater cores are also pretty free flowing, work excellent, and only cost $12 new. The key is finding one that will fit the side of your case.

Check out:
for dimensions

will it be hot air come into the case if u put the heater outside the case and suck air pass by the heater and come inside to the case?

Back