• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 over clocking, the cheaper the chip the better the OC??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, that sucks, I read through the manual, no HT-X setting but it have HT Spread spectrum (crap). I'm blown away by that, even a $40 PcChips MATX board has the setting. Email ASUS about to see if it is a permanent problem or if a Bios fix is on the way.

well, new F3 revision cpu's (with 2x1mb L2) are hitting 3.2-3.4 on good air... but that's about the max for the K8 architecture, even the brisbanes

problem with most, if not all current K8 cpu's, is the cold bug.... meaning, if you deap freeze (i.e., phase/ln2/chilled water), you can only go so low on the temps before the cpu starts bugging out, to the extent that even the FX-62's unlocked multi's don't help very much. And considering most current cpu's are overclocking to 2.8-3.0 on air, there's really no need for expensive cooling, or expensive cpu's for that matter...

let's hope the split power planes on the K10 architecture helps cure that cold bug....

Because the Brisbane core can only do 3.0-3.1ghz usually. You could get the 4800+ to 3.0 and slightly beyond just like you can with most 3600+ Brisbanes, but why would you pay an extra $60 to reach similar speeds overall.

malvindo said:
hm, ur TF7050, when attach with big GFX 1 1/2 or 2 slot , do still got room for 1 PCI?

With my eVGA 7900GS, I can use both, but the one nearest the PCI-E slot is really tight...so its reducing airflow to my 7900GS...but I'm ok with that.

funnyperson1 said:
Because the Brisbane core can only do 3.0-3.1ghz usually. You could get the 4800+ to 3.0 and slightly beyond just like you can with most 3600+ Brisbanes, but why would you pay an extra $60 to reach similar speeds overall.

I bought a 4400+ for the higher multi... and to hopefully see a bit more out of the chip @ stock volts than I'm seeing from my 3600+. Otherwise, there is no reason.

wow dude I feel like I got the stick buying my AM2 3800+, I wish I would have bought a 3600+.
3600+ are **** cheap now.

So there is no plus side to buying like a 4600+ 4400+ 4200+ ect over the 3600+ when you can push them all about the same amount?

Or did I miss something? is there just a higher multi?

my 3600+ outclocks my 4800+ (both brisbane) so that gives some idea how similar higha nd low end clock, albiet the 48 is probably a bit of a dud :)

As for a board.. ABIT KN9, or the BIOSTAR Tforce 550 if you want the more modern chipset and to spend a tad more. Can't go past either though for OCability on a budget. I'd take either well before the MSI

Back