• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 Price Drops on the horizon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
Found this link today on TG Daily.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32814/118/

To sum it up;

AMD said:
All mainstream processors are now priced well below the $200 mark: The fastest mainstream dual-core CPU Athlon X2 6000+ will be available for $178 (before: $241), according to the new list. The 5600+ drops from $188 to $157, the 5200+ from $178 to $136, the 5000+ from $167 to $125 and the 4800+ from $136 to $115.

The 4400+ and 4000+ are the new entry-level dual-core processors with prices of $94 ($121 before) and $73 ($104). The list indicates that the 3600+ and 3800+ have been phased out and are not available anymore.

On the high-end, AMD drops the price for the FX-74 pair from $700 to $599. The FX-72 remains at $599.

Single-core processors are affected by the price drop as well. The product portfolio now begins with the entry-level 3200+ model, which lists for $48 ($58 before) and tops out with the 4000+ which is priced at $79 ($94).

Edit; it has begun!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103773 And comes comboed with a free Rainbow Six: Vegas!!

Last edited:
Heck yeah, NCIX passed on the price drop savings to customers a few days ago already. The low low prices are very tempting.

hopefully this closes the gap on price/performance with intel a little more.

(edit: well duh, obviously it will close the gap more, but will it swing things AMDs way?)

Yeah prices down o'er here in UK too, not just on am2 aswell amd 939 x2 4200 was like 140$ now its 120$

What X2 939 oh for gods sake I wish I bought that now just to be sort of future proof at least with Dual Core. I am happy with my single core 4000+ but I knew I should of got DC the problem was my board needed a BIOS update to use DC so it might not have worked first time.

splat said:
hopefully this closes the gap on price/performance with intel a little more.

(edit: well duh, obviously it will close the gap more, but will it swing things AMDs way?)

Well for the non overclocker I have to say they are far better than Intel, at least up to the point where the fastest chip is competitive. I mean the X2 6000+ is $170 and the cheapest Intel chip faster than it (E6700) is $318.

However, since the E2000 chips have been great overclockers hitting speeds of 3.2-3.5 where they perform better than any aircooled X2 overclocks, its still hard to recommend AMD for overclockers unless they are on an extremely restricted budget.

However for me there is no question that if I build a system for someone else, its an AM2 system with an X2.

funnyperson1 said:
Well for the non overclocker I have to say they are far better than Intel, at least up to the point where the fastest chip is competitive. I mean the X2 6000+ is $170 and the cheapest Intel chip faster than it (E6700) is $318.

Took the words right out of my mouth fp1!!!

Not to mention these 6000's could possibly get 100-200 more MHz out of em too.

Looks like the Opty 170's have disappeared from newegg's site. With a killer 3.0GHz+ on stock volts, I could not be more happy. I bet a ton of other folks had the same luck as I did.

I wonder if the next stepping is going to be just as good or even better?

Mattster2k5 said:
Sweet! I was just thinking It would be nice to upgrade to AM2 this summer but was hesitant due to prices now this might seal the deal.

Hesitant due to prices? I dont think AMD's prices have ever been lower, even before this recent price drop. I got a X2 6000 just cause it was less than $300 from like... $700.

Oroka Sempai said:
Hesitant due to prices? I dont think AMD's prices have ever been lower, even before this recent price drop. I got a X2 6000 just cause it was less than $300 from like... $700.

Well I don't have alot of money to throw around, have to save money so I have a place to live while I go to school and I need to fix my truck so its ready to go to Wyoming come September.

I just picked up a 6000+ and an ASUS M2N-E for 253.99 shipped from the egg (combo deal saved me $15).

Back