• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 16 or Intel 6 for CFD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmd_knr

Hi,

I am currently doing my PhD in CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). we use a software (FLUENT) that is licensed per core, and we can run parallel calculations with that. what it does is just calculation ...
Now I am doing a simulation with this software which with our current system will take months to finish. So I planned to buy a workstation, I looked at some of the specifications to find out what to buy, but now I am lost :( I really don't know what to do :shrug:. I hope you can help me a bit.
For CPU. every body said intel is more efficient. so based on my budget I was thinking of getting a Core i7 3930K (6 cores). but then I found out that AMD Opteron 6772 has 16 cores with the same price. is it really possible that a 16-Core CPU loses to a 6-Core CPU in a software that is licensed per core? but it says Opteron is a server CPU, what it means? can I not use it on my workstation? Is the motherboard going to be much more expensive than the motherboard that I should use for a Core i7?
For the i7 setup I was going to buy 4*8GB RAM at 2400 GHz.But it says Opteron memory controller is for 1600 MHz.
Is it better to have 16 cores @ 2.1 GHz with 32GB 1600 MHz RAM or 6 cores @ 3.8 GHz with 32GB 2400 MHz RAM?
I think Cache is also important for our software, Opterons Cache is much higher than i7. So what should I do. I really dont know what to look for.

I am also having a very basic general question.
Why an AMD with 8 cores @ 5 GHz with 1MB/Core L2 Cache and a lower price is worse than an Intel with 6 cores @ 3.8 GHz with 256KB/Core L2 Cache and a higher price? What are other important factors that effect? is it the case even for parallel computing?

I hope some one can help me.
Thanks and regards

I havent seen that CPU benchmarked (the Operton)...but I also think you meant 6272 as the 6772 doesnt seem to exist? That CPU runs on socket G34. and is different than AM3 that consumers use.

A quick trip to newegg and using its search turned up that, yes G34 boards are for the most part more expensive than AM3 counter parts for the desktop segment.

You are asking the right questions, but Im just not sure anyone has the answer as that stuff really isnt tested.

A question you should be asking someone is if FLUENT can use CUDA cores (on Nvidia GPUs) or Open CL (AMD and Nvidia GPUs). If it can use that, you would want to go that route.

Thank you for the reply. I checked the GPU idea, it works for FLUENT but the GPU that NVIDIA set it up for is very expensive, 4000+. so not for me.

I hope I finally can find out what to do!

If it can run on Cuda It should work on any of the desktop lvl NV cards . If your do find it can work on normal cards I would hold off for the next gen cards ( should be here soon) . And grab 2 or 3 of the mid range cards on a x79 chipset .

sounds like building a bd$$ folding box/farm in a box...
how fast do you want this to be?
are you going to buy a prebuilt unit or build it yourself?
budget $$ amount would be more info needed..

It's not going to be home made ... :)
I just want it to be as fast as possible for 2K£ (almost 3K$) without wasting money on unnecessary specs for our software (Fluent)

if you will go dig around the dell site they have some good info and ideas on this subject.
I run some cfd stuff for the aero on my racecar but i sub that out to a companys server, trying to run that here sent the costs through the roof.

The new NVIDIA Titan GPUs can be switched to compute mode and should be compatible with FLUENT's engine if the cards that FLUENT were recommending are from NVIDIA's Tesla line.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your replies. GPUs are expensive for us, I think we cant go for a GPU so I guess we will go for Core i7 3930K.

I am just having two more question which will be great if you can help me in them as well :

1) What effect does the motherboard have on performance? of these two options which one do you recommend for us :
a) ASUS P9X79 pro Intel X79
b) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79

2) We are planning to get 32GB of RAM @ 2400 MHz. Do u recommend us taking it as 8*4 or 4*8? is it going to make any difference at all? (I am not sure if it has any effect on the result or not but we are planning to use hyperthreading option for the CPU to use 12 licences.)
If we get RAM's @ 2400 MHz, is it going to be Ok with CPU being at 3.8 GHz or we have to OC our CPU to 4.5 GHz for that?

I am sorry for my basic question, but I really dont have any feel about how these things are related.

I hope you can give me some directions.

Thanks a lot.

3000$ should get you 2 of those gpus( they are 1000 each ) and a nice quad or 6 core chip .
If the GPUs work with your program I by its self should destroy the 6 core , let alone haveing 2 of them + the 6core

1. None. And choice a.
2. 4x8 and no need for 2400mhz ram unless you know that program responds to fast ram. Most don't.

I think you value the CPU to high compared to the power of the GPU's. You should advice with experts operating within these programs.

The GPU's are like a "complete" mini pc in itself.. in many ways it resembles a computer. they are powerhouses in processing things. With very fast memory and etc.

So consider that twice.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your replies. GPUs are expensive for us, I think we cant go for a GPU so I guess we will go for Core i7 3930K.

I am just having two more question which will be great if you can help me in them as well :

1) What effect does the motherboard have on performance? of these two options which one do you recommend for us :
a) ASUS P9X79 pro Intel X79
b) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79

2) We are planning to get 32GB of RAM @ 2400 MHz. Do u recommend us taking it as 8*4 or 4*8? is it going to make any difference at all? (I am not sure if it has any effect on the result or not but we are planning to use hyperthreading option for the CPU to use 12 licences.)
If we get RAM's @ 2400 MHz, is it going to be Ok with CPU being at 3.8 GHz or we have to OC our CPU to 4.5 GHz for that?

I am sorry for my basic question, but I really dont have any feel about how these things are related.

I hope you can give me some directions.

Thanks a lot.

Back