• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD AthlonXP 2.4+ FSB change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veljamh

Hello everyone :)

I want to hear additional opinions on this issue:

1. My current setup is FSB: 133 MHz and Multiplier: 15. CPU Speed: 1,995 MHz

2. I want to change the FSB to 200 MHz and lower the multiplier to 10. I am aware that increments in FSB affect RAM timing (with 200, DDR1 DIMM will run at 266 MHz).

I am just wondering is it worth tampering with this, and is this going to create some serious issues if I roll with it. Btw, some safeguard measures are more than welcome :D

Note: Mainboard: MS-KT6V LSR [Max FSB 267 MHz, CPU Speeds: 4 GHz]
CPU: max. benchmarked speed 3 GHz

No, it won't hurt anything to try. If it won't post then just reset the bios to defaults with the cmos reset jumper. You haven't given us much to go on. What CPU are you running? Athlon XP? Core (Palimino? Thoroughbred? Thunderbird?) What is the fsb rating of your CPU (200? 333? 400?). What speed is your ram rated at from the factory (DDR 266? DDR 333? DDR 400?)? You say it will run at 266 but is that overclocked or is that the factory rating? Increasing the fsb also makes your memory controller (located in the NB of the motherboard) so that will get more stress and heat.

The CPU is AMD AthlonXP Thoroughbred with stock values of 133 FSB x 15.
RAM is rated at 200 MHz at stock value of 133 MHz FSB.

The manufacturer's site says it's safe to increase the FSB of any CPU if done in small increments to a desired value (or until Windows halts the boot process).

I am pretty sure my PC won't explode if I give it a try with some adjustments :D

Small increments is the way to go for sure. The first thing you need to do, however is to check temps when CPU is fully stressed. That way you will know if you have any overclocking headroom. So, download HWMonitor, CPU-z and Prime95. With HWMonitor already open, run the CPU-z blend test for 10-15 minutes. That will give you an idea of what your CPU temps are under full load. Pleas post back with pics of HW monitor after this stress test. Please upload screenshots directly with your post instead of links to pics.

HW Monitor report

Um... HWMonitor shows that +3.3V and +12V rails have obsolete values. But BIOS and Everest say that the values are OK (+3.25 on 3.3V and 12.1 on 12V rail)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 90
Do you have access to an electrical multimeter to actually test the voltage?

Back