• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD dropping SOI @ 28nm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So anyone whos been around since the first batches of new athlon CPUs remembers how SOI practically saved AMDs reputation. Back then in the infancy of CPU design it made a huge difference in there manufacturing process. Now fast forward to this era is it really making much difference anymore? I honestly have no idea, but I was surprised when I came across this looking for updates on the next gen APUs.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...lk-at-gf2c-more-details-from-the-new-wsa.aspx

There is one statement made in the Q&A section of the call on the new WSA that caught our attention:

"So with respect to SOI (Silicon On Insulator), we made statements that on 28-nanometer, all of our products will be bulk."

At the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference Thomas Seifert last week gave a bit more detail on the matter:

"We said that at the 28nm node we are going to be on bulk silicon across all products, not only graphics but also CPUs. And We have made no statement beyond that. But for 28[nm] we will be on bulk for all products."

He also added:

"There are always tradeoff decisions. But the flexibility that we gain moving in that direction... the flexibility across foundry partners, across design tools outhweigh that by far, the benefits of SOI."

Regarding development of 22nm node technology, Seifert answered a bit ambiguously:

"We have very strong and engaging discussions on the roadmap, and we will provide updates on our roadmap as we proceed. But this is not a reflection of disengagement on future nodes."

It doesn't preclude a 22nm bulk process at GlobalFoundries, but depending on what processes TSMC offers it might be smarter to go straight to 20nm bulk silicon in order to leverage multiple sources of bleeding edge processes.

I think while initially it gave them an edge, due to the fact that only Global Foundries and IBM produce and develop SOI its held them back. Strained silicon made up the performance difference to SOI a long time ago, there's no logner a reason to stick with it.

Back