• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD guy needs help from INTEL camp choosing sons new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hear ya man....thank god he's past those days- he's 20 now, my only one left at home my 2 daughters are off and gone to college, he chose a different path and started his own small business, and is now actually a sub-contractor for the company I work for, and he's still working on his degree nights and making decent money so he buys his own toys now.

No one here is saying "dont upgrade". Its just, as it stands, he has a lot of hooch in his ivy bridge build and the benefits he gets from an upgrade wont really be dramatic for the money. Looking at spending 600$ to get 15% in performance. Its just not overly prudent I suppose.

An option though, he may still get a chunk of money back for the 3770k rig. If he can find a buyer for his stuff, then yeah he should absolutely jump on the skylake bandwagon.

No one here is saying "dont upgrade". Its just, as it stands, he has a lot of hooch in his ivy bridge build and the benefits he gets from an upgrade wont really be dramatic for the money. Looking at spending 600$ to get 15% in performance. Its just not overly prudent I suppose.

An option though, he may still get a chunk of money back for the 3770k rig. If he can find a buyer for his stuff, then yeah he should absolutely jump on the skylake bandwagon.

Oh completely understand man appreciate it and pretty sure he gets it and knows what he has is by no means to old to roll with if he needed. He's been upgrading over the last year or so, new case(which I ordered but he confiscated) then the loop,then his 980gtx. He's not hurting for money now(still lives at home) and can afford to upgrade and pretty sure he can unload his mobo/cpu/ram combo(his buddy). So I think its a timing thing where he is getting into the rig anyway to service the loop. So no worries didn't take it that way, I ask because he wanted an honest opinion and that's what he got.

oldiron, I don't think you ever said what the primary use of your son's PC is. Is it mainly for gaming that he wants to upgrade? If so, he might want to look at a second video card

oldiron, I don't think you ever said what the primary use of your son's PC is. Is it mainly for gaming that he wants to upgrade? If so, he might want to look at a second video card

Yeah he's a big gamer........actually does a lot of testing for new games. He had 2 660gtx's, upgraded to the 980gtx, and last year I got him a asus vg24 and he wants to pick up 2 more of those as well,, I'm sure he will sli the 980 at some time with the 3 monitor set-up.

Back