• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom™ II 955 Black with salvaged pc parts for custom build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T Sayers

Registered
would i be able to run crysis 3 smoothly on the high settings if i salvaged parts from my pc and upgraded to a quad core amd cpu

Parts to salvage
*Nvidia Geforce 545 Gtx 1Gb ddr5
*4 gb ddr3 ram

parts im going to add
* AMD Phenom™ II 955 Black
* 350 watt psu
* New mid tower case

Last edited:
I think the GF 545 GTX will be the bottleneck in that list of parts. I also question whether or not a 350W PSU is adequate power. What brand is the PSU?

I'm not a computer gamer so I don't feel comfortable in giving a definitive answer to that question. What I can tell you is that with most games, per core performance is more important than using a lot of cores and clock for clock/core for core the intel sandys and ivys outperform AMD CPUs.

Now the answer might be entirely different if you were rendering audio video files which really benefit from lots of cores.

T Sayers, so far you have started 5 threads all basically talking about the same thing and you've been getting basically the same answers. Your weakest link if you're planning on playing high end games is going to be your Gpu. You're I3 cpu isn't exactly a screamer but it may be good enough to play on. Unless you will be playing games that are going to utilize multiple cores you should definitely consider getting a better Gpu and a quality PSU for starters.

Additionally, if you did go the AMD route you're going to need a compatible motherboard as well.

so i shouldn't upgrade my core i3 dual core to an amd quad core?

Here is the Standard specs that I am seeing for a High performance setup in Crysis 3.
High-performance system operation requirements:
• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
• Latest DirectX 11 graphics card
• Latest quad core CPU
• 8GB Memory
• Example 1 (NVIDIA/Intel): NVIDIA GTX 680, Intel Core i7-2600k

• Example 2 (AMD): AMD Radeon HD7970, AMD Bulldozer FX4150

If you go with an AMD CPU, you have to buy a new MB. You STILL need to look at doubling your RAM either with AMD OR Intel.

Please utilize the search feature to see if your question has been asked previously. Typically the search feature will provide more than enough information.

Here are just a few threads which should help to answer your questions regarding Specs (realworld NOT synthetic).

Crysis 3 Official Discussion Thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725173&highlight=crysis

Will my System be able to run Crysis 3:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727920&highlight=crysis

Crysis 3 requirements:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722191&highlight=crysis

These are just a few examples that should answer your question or at least give you much more information and a starting point to work with.

Back