• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD RX 6900 XT Reviews Posted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rasterization beast... don't buy for RT!

It seems only the highest-end NVIDIA cards can handle RT in 4K. I just got the 8 gig 2060 Super and it suffers mightily in Watch Dogs: Legion.. but even the 3080 and 3070 seem to have a tough time pulling off 4K Ultra with Raytracing... maybe we're jut not there yet? :shrug:

It seems only the highest-end NVIDIA cards can handle RT in 4K.
...depends on the game..and that's without DLSS. There are titles where even those high-end Ampere's struggle (Control). There are others where it doesn't have much of an issue (Metro and SOTR) even without DLSS running 4K. It depends on the game...and if you plan on using DLSS. Some titles it does well (image quality) others, not as much... Also, like 2% of steam users are 4K UHD players whereas an overwhelming majority are 2560x1440 or less...if you plan on using heavy RT and DLSS, these are plenty capable. These high-end cards are 4K/120+ capable in just rasterization.

But for the overwhelming majority that game at 2560x1440 and less, all of the 3000 series cards are RT capable at least 60 FPS across most titles. You can use DLSS at 2560x1440 as well. 1080p and 3000 series are all pretty close to or over 60 FPS with RT (no DLSS).

The RT performance on these RDNA2 cards is similar to 1st gen/Turing. Ampere doubles the tensor/rt cores and handles things A LOT better than first-gen It's actually useable throughout most titles and resolutions. You can see from our review the 3060Ti even handles both of our titles with DLSS off at 60 FPS 1440p. Control is another one. The 3090 cannot handle it with RT and no DLSS, but enable DLSS its 4K/RT/60.

I like this AMD product for now. I think it won't age as well in RT titles, but where we are now, that doesn't matter. We'll see how fast and how many more titles and how well optimizes they are over the coming years (thank consoles with RT capabilities for that). But by the time it becomes long in the tooth, next-gen is out anyway. But since NV doubled the RT/Tensor cores/hardware they are MUCH more performant using RT.

TPU link is dead.

But for the overwhelming majority that game at 2560x1440 and less, all of the 3000 series cards are RT capable at least 60 FPS across most titles. You can use DLSS at 2560x1440 as well. 1080p and 3000 series are all pretty close to or over 60 FPS with RT (no DLSS).
My 3080 has actually ran over 60fps at 1440 in anything I've tried, WOW, COD Black Ops and Modern Warfare and Doom Eternal so far. All maxed out. 3070 comes in at the end of the week so I'll see how it runs on the same.

EDIT: Thanks for the new link.

I updated the first post with a functional link. I'm wondering if TPU changed the URL or something as it worked went the thread was posted.

Questionable on only 16GB on their TOP-END card.. Could be a possible 24GB/32GB option later as there is (placement??) for more memory on the back PCB.
Unknown connection option/layout in-lower right corner.

Just like the 3090 pretty paltry improvement for the cost over the next card. It beats the 6800xt by around 5-10% on average for 50% more money. Not nearly as bad of a ratio as the 3090, but at least if someone needs all the VRAM they can get and price isn't important the 3090 wins anyway

Back