• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd ryzen 9 5950x with rtx 4090 rog strix oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th1sm4dn3ss

Registered
Hello,a while ago my mobo was broken and i was thinking to buy a new one
so i bought the asus rog crosshair vIII dark hero,64gb of gskill ddr4 ram
and a beautifull rtx 4090 rog strix oc.
Now in the computershop i asked if it was a problem that the cpu is a ryzen 9 5950x,
and they told me oh yeah u going to have a bottleneck of 18%,so i mailed to a
uk shop with nr1 oc guy and they told me there is going to be no problem???
So what should i do,because the mobo is brand new,and if i have to buy a new one...
Forgot something,i have an asus hypercard m.2 x16 gen4 so i can install 4 ssd and put them in raid
mode,but my mobo is out of lanes,so i can install the hypercard but with only 2 ssd in it.
I saw an upgrade bundle,threadripper oc bundle but it it expensive so i am stuck.

ps can u detect how much the bottleneck is in a pc?

Ryzen 5950X is fast enough for everything. The newer CPUs will be faster mainly at lower display resolutions. At 1440p+ high details, you won't notice a difference.

NVMe RAID is a bad idea, unless you want RAID 1/10 if you worry that one of the drives may fail and you lose the data/waste time on recovery. It's better to buy one larger SSD than a couple of small and set RAID. It's because RAID uses different drivers and also low queue random performance does not scale with multiple SSDs - in games 2, 4, 6+ SSDs in RAID 0/10 perform the same as a single SSD.
I recommend ~500GB mid series for the OS + larger and fast NVMe SSD for games or files you often use. It's because when you start the OS, it loads most stuff into RAM and uses it instead of reading it from the storage. It means, it doesn't matter much if the OS drive is top speed as you will mainly see it while starting it. If you separate OS and games drives, then the games drive will have a dedicated tasks queue, so also lower access time.
I still recommend getting at least a USB SSD for backups (if you care about the data on your PC).

My monitor is a HPZ43 3840x2160 @60HZ wich i use with my son his pc

asus rog strix x570-e gaming

rtx 3090fe with the amd ryzen 7 3800xt and the 32gb ddr4 ram from t-force @ 3800Mhz 14-15-13-27-40 1T

@ 1.51v and soc 1.1v

What should i do with the cpu,leave it stock or oc? now it is running @ 3.9Ghz base and 4.7Ghz boost?

ps: power supply is cooler master V750 gold v2

That choice is up to you. Since you mentioned gaming at a high resolution of 4K, it's not going to matter much there (but could in other tasks where the CPU matters more). It couldn't hurt, however. ;)

Should i consider buying a ryzen 7 5800X3D, has lower boost but the 3d vcache might be better
for gaming?

Should i consider buying a ryzen 7 5800X3D, has lower boost but the 3d vcache might be better
for gaming?
I think you should take a minute to look at benchmarks and see if the increases are. I'd think not at the higher resolution....

Here is a 7850X3D review w/4090 across 20+ games.... are those gains worth it to you (~6% between 5950X and 5800X3D)? I'd say no, but, I'm not you! :)

Ryzen 5950X is fast enough for everything. The newer CPUs will be faster mainly at lower display resolutions. At 1440p+ high details, you won't notice a difference.

NVMe RAID is a bad idea, unless you want RAID 1/10 if you worry that one of the drives may fail and you lose the data/waste time on recovery. It's better to buy one larger SSD than a couple of small and set RAID. It's because RAID uses different drivers and also low queue random performance does not scale with multiple SSDs - in games 2, 4, 6+ SSDs in RAID 0/10 perform the same as a single SSD.
I recommend ~500GB mid series for the OS + larger and fast NVMe SSD for games or files you often use. It's because when you start the OS, it loads most stuff into RAM and uses it instead of reading it from the storage. It means, it doesn't matter much if the OS drive is top speed as you will mainly see it while starting it. If you separate OS and games drives, then the games drive will have a dedicated tasks queue, so also lower access time.
I still recommend getting at least a USB SSD for backups (if you care about the data on your PC).

I have a 500gb ssd as the C: drive os and games all on it,than i have a hard drive 2tb and a 2nd 500gbssd so i should install the os on the 500gb ssd

and buy a larger ssd for installing the games? drives.png

Confused a bit...

You say you already have a 500GB SSD as your OS drive...but are asking if you should put an OS on it????

So, your OS should be on an SSD, absolutely. Your games should be on an SSD, too. HDDs are good today for cold/warm storage, but would be slow for launching games. Storage is your bottleneck, especially if you're running anything on a slow spinner.

Also, I'd look towards purchasing an NVMe/PCIe M.2 SSD (not sure if you have a SATA-based SSD or not - maybe create a signature with all of your hardware so we can see it.............) Maybe get a 2TB drive and partition it.. 300GB for your OS and the rest for games... something like that.

Hello,no sorry in the first slot on the mobo is a 500gb samsung 970evo plus ssd the c: drive
where my os is installed and the games too,and in the second slot also the same ssd,so i tought
combining them to 1TB if that is possible or buy a 2 tb ssd and did what u say,partition it and...

Why cant i put a second build into my signature???
Post magically merged:

I think you should take a minute to look at benchmarks and see if the increases are. I'd think not at the higher resolution....

Here is a 7850X3D review w/4090 across 20+ games.... are those gains worth it to you (~6% between 5950X and 5800X3D)? I'd say no, but, I'm not you! :)

Ryzen 9 5950x is 88.8 percent and the ryzen 7 7800X3D is 100 percent not mentioning the ryzen 9 7950X3D???

Last edited:
Post magically merged:

Ryzen 9 5950x is 88.8 percent and the ryzen 7 7800X3D is 100 percent not mentioning the ryzen 9 7950X3D???
Because signatures are limited in size. Large signatures are...ugly and distracting (even within our limits)

So.. 12% with that cpu... is it worth it to you??

Last edited:

Look how some others made their signatures with two PCs - wider lines, divided into two columns (just have to play with the test adjustment). You can also use a smaller font so some things look better or fit into one line.
My PCs change so often that I'm not even doing that. The general idea is to keep the current rig for as long as it's possible, but I guess I won't be able to resist when something new and interesting will be released.

Back