• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD to produce Hammer Chips for Apple!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Apple's reputation is built on being the best and the fastest which they are.

ROFLMAO

ok bud whatever you say. so you think that dual 1.25ghz can beat a 3ghz+ P4 or a 2GHZ+ AMD? ya right sure whatever you say.

This thread has turned ugly. The purpose of which it was started (AMD to make CPU's for APPLE) has now turned into a "Mac Bashing" scenario. C'mon guys, stop the bickering.

RPM_Computing said:
I dont need to prove anything to you... Have you ever even used a power mac g4?

Yep, quite alot actually. My best friend has one, and does graphics with it. I also regularly use an i-mac at work.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think it would be great if apple took amd chips, as it would make sure they stay on par powerwise. I don't mind os9 and like osx alot. Motorola can't deliver s*** for processors, and as I work on music (mainly software) I need all the power I can get. Ibm chips would be better too, amd is however competing with intel so hard, that apple would never have to worry about lack of motivation on r&d.

If they take AMD as their next chip maker, will they force AMD to make PPC chips for them or will they just switch every available software to the X86 architecture ?

OS 10.2 will be based off UNIX (open source) so it will have the x86 core built in to. Sounds like this might be going through. :)

dropadrop the quote you are refering to is aimed at formermac and basically anyone who says something negative withought having any actual proof about what they are talking about other than a pridefull opinion. G4 arcitecture is by far superior to any pc ppocessor at this time. That is why they can render and encode so fast. Their pipeline is less than half of a P4 and yes it is a proven fact that even before the newest dual G4's were released that they were blowing P4's out of the water. Did anyone see AMD shares plumit again today? Does that look like talks of any great deals between Apple & AMD? Most people think MHZ is what makes a system. If you look at AMD's argument towards Intel and most of us here know a slower or at least an AMD Proc that is less MHZ than an Intel chip is actually faster than most P4's. My 1.8 Ghz Athlon processes quicker than a 2.66 Ghz Intel. Same goes for G4 technologies. Don't let the smoke screen of pride blind the reality. Go to Intel boards and tell them that and see what they have to say. Have you seen what it costs to build a top of the line PC these days with similar features of the new Power Macs? VERY VERY CLOSE. If you are a gamer stick with your PC, if you are into Digital editing and encoding get a Power Mac. IUf you want to argue about it you better get some facts other than an opinion like "whatever buddy" or AMD/Intel is better because I think it is. My alternative is to build a dual MP or a dual P3 for encoding, only because I can not afford anything better, if I had the choice and the budget to do it I would definately be going with a dual 1.25 G4. Most movie studios are switching to Mac's because of the productivity of a G4, PC's can't cut the mustard when it comes to the crunch at their current stage in development. Sure they are cheaper in some aspects, but not when you are buying top of the line. Take into conscideration that I am a PC user, why would I say it if it was not true?

RPM_Computing said:
That is why they can render and encode so fast. Their pipeline is less than half of a P4 and yes it is a proven fact that even before the newest dual G4's were released that they were blowing P4's out of the water.

Am I going to have to post this link _again_?...

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07_jul/features/cw_macvspc2.htm

The G4 just isn't that advanced.

And while I suppose Hammer in Macs would be a nice win for AMD, I can't see Apple biting the bullet and using decent hardware. They'll probably go with the new IBM chip.

Jawsome said:
Go look at apple.com's store, its got just about the worst deals I've ever seen in my entire life.

yea, im gettin an iPod from them...mainly because you can get it engraved from em...but i sure do like the 23" LCD screen...oooooooooooh

Hmm.... Macs for pro video editing?
Have you ever actually seen anybody doing high end video editing?
Because if you have, you'll see people using SGIs, not Macs or PCs. What do you think people at ILM use? SGIs for high end and dual Xeons for lowend stuff. Macs as well... for email.

In the scientific world where FPU and memory transfer rule the day, I don't even smell any macs. High end calculations are done on Alpha clusters, lower end stuff on Athlon clusters. There is no prideful preference there... and C code can be compiled on any platform... and time after time, Macs are left in the dust.

So there is really no argument there.

As far 23 mac screen, they're all made by Samsung. Thing is, if you buy a Samsung one, you get a better price and a 3 year warrantee. If you get an Apple one, you get raped, it looks gay, and you get only 1 year warrantee.

Nookien, that is also a comparison of the old dual Ghz using pc-133 from Apple, but you did prove my point that they are a superior system. If they compaired the dual 1.25 DDR 2700 against any of those systems they would be blown out of the water... Reguardless I am with AMD for the third time, and I am personally leaning towards dual xp with L5 bridges shorted.

skatman said:
As far 23 mac screen, they're all made by Samsung. Thing is, if you buy a Samsung one, you get a better price and a 3 year warrantee. If you get an Apple one, you get raped, it looks gay, and you get only 1 year warrantee.

mmk..i looked around at some of the other 23" LCD's out there..and not one of them could do the same resolution as the apple. none of them have a built in USB hub..which i would use..my keyboard and mouse cables are short, and barely reach my case..

about its design..i think its great..nice bright color and all...i messed around with a 22" of these at a university..and think it would be lots of fun to have..but the price is too steep for my wallet...ill just go with a refurbished dell 21" trinitron CRT

RPM_Computing said:
Nookien, that is also a comparison of the old dual Ghz using pc-133 from Apple, but you did prove my point that they are a superior system. If they compaired the dual 1.25 DDR 2700 against any of those systems they would be blown out of the water...

I did not prove your point at all. I offered up some numbers and you are still making vague assertions. But okay, take the latest D-G4 1.25 with DDR; it should be about 33% better than the dual 1G in that article. Compare it to a P4 3.06 and a dual MP2200+. The Apple would still get Ajax'd. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that the P4 or the AMD box with similar features (but admittedly not a flashy monitor) would cost half what the Apple goes for.

RangerJoe, I guess you haven't looked closely enough. :)

Under this link:
http://www.monitoroutlet.com/069848.html

you will find a 24'' Samsung monitor with USB hub that is cheaper and has better specs (this one is the latest G5 panel vs. G4 panel of the Apple 23HD screen) than the 23'' Apple.

Just for comparison, the Apple version is available at:
http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/

If you pocket is not deep enough you can opt for 21.3 Samsung G5:
http://www.monitoroutlet.com/789255.html

that is cheaper and has better specs than the 22'' Apple Display and a USB hub.

Also, if you don't want wires, I suggest wireless keyboard and mouse. :cool:

You know what will be funny? If Apple & AMD do pair up I will Guarantee many of your comments will be geared towards how AWESOME their products are and how the price and performance ratio will be of little concern. In essence it would be the complete opposite of what is being said at this time.

Back