• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's Wraith: How well does it really work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weetoots

I am interested in the thermal paste that is factory applied. Does it do the job, not clocked and overclocked? Or Super goop.will I need some Arctic?

I arrives tomorrow. I am ready for it. I think back to the late 80"s, IBM DOS, IBM PC (Personal Computer) 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, Memory (what a joke) 640 KB Ram. AND no Apple, yet. Oh my, floppy discs, yuk.
I wish tomorrow was here. :D

I was able to (barely) cool an FX-9590 (4.7ghz) with an old Opteron heat pipe cooler and a high CFM fan upgrade.

The wraith has a slightly larger fin layout to accommodate the 90mm fan. The old opteron cooler is slightly smaller houses 80mm.

The base on the Opteron heat pipe cooler is larger and slightly thicker. Both have the same number of heat pipes.

Opteron cooler also has a larger fin count.

Would expect 4.4-4.6ghz which is decent on air cooling.

FX-9590%20air%20cooling_zpsvhijqj2l.png
20160630_004107_zpsv7rabjmw.jpg

The wraith is close but not quite up to a CM212 maybe 100 MHZ less OC. As for the paste, I never use the factory stuff.

I would imagine the Wraith being a great match for 95 watt cpu's.

Johan pulled 4.5GHz on an 8-core with the Wraith... it's more than capable for the higher TDP CPUs (excluding the 9xxx chips)
This was in the review I linked in post #2.

Johan pulled 4.5GHz on an 8-core with the Wraith... it's more than capable for the higher TDP CPUs (excluding the 9xxx chips)

Here is a quote from Johan- "The wraith is close but not quite up to a CM212 maybe 100 MHZ less OC."

The Wraith isn't that good of a fit for 125 watt cpu's that many users overclock as far as they can. Not if it is worse than a budget cooler. With a 95 watt cpu you would hit a voltage wall before you ran out of cooling with the Wraith.

The wraith has it's niche in the good but quiet area. So much better than the old stock coolers and quiet. Not bad for your average user. I was quite impressed TBH for an out of the box cooler.

Here is a quote from Johan- "The wraith is close but not quite up to a CM212 maybe 100 MHZ less OC."

The Wraith isn't that good of a fit for 125 watt cpu's that many users overclock as far as they can. Not if it is worse than a budget cooler. With a 95 watt cpu you would hit a voltage wall before you ran out of cooling with the Wraith.

It's included with the CPU and can take an 8-core into the 4.5GHz range..... what more do you want??

1. The 9xxx CPUs aren't 125w. They're WAY beyond that.
2. How is it worse than a budget cooler? It's effectively free.

It's included with the CPU and can take an 8-core into the 4.5GHz range..... what more do you want??

I don't want anything. I just stated that it is a mediocre cooler. Do you have some kind of problem with that?

- - - Updated - - -

1. The 9xxx CPUs aren't 125w. They're WAY beyond that.
2. How is it worse than a budget cooler? It's effectively free.

I am talking about the run of the mill 125 watt eight core cpu. I never mentioned a 9590 did I? The Wraith isn't free either. If it isn't up to par with a mediocre cooler than a Hyper 212 EVO than it is no great shakes.

I am talking about the run of the mill 125 watt eight core cpu. I never mentioned a 9590 did I?

I'm going by the article linked that says it does fine except for the 9xxx series. Care to provide some support for your claim that it doesn't work for 125w CPUs?

It's a stock cooler. For stock CPUs. If you're whining about it not working for high overclocks, that is, bluntly, whining.

Last edited:
It will not cool an FX-9590. Tested it, the PC starts up, cycles some codes and shuts right off. I can get it to post with a giant copper plate, but heats quickly. The smaller fin count on this cooler doesn't carry enough heat to dissipate even with fan at max. It does spin up and moves decent cfm. Ambient temp is 72f.

The cooler can't handle 1.51250v at all. At least not with normal working environments.

Could run the AC chiller box on it..... Probably pull off 5ghz. Unfortunately I will be out of town for the weekend.

Let's call it good between 4.4 and 4.6ghz and call it a day. Max voltage maybe 1.4250v and w/e clock your chip could do with it.

I don't want anything. I just stated that it is a mediocre cooler. Do you have some kind of problem with that?

- - - Updated - - -

I am talking about the run of the mill 125 watt eight core cpu. I never mentioned a 9590 did I? The Wraith isn't free either. If it isn't up to par with a mediocre cooler than a Hyper 212 EVO than it is no great shakes.

I'm not sure how a free cooler which will give a moderate overclock on an 8-core FX can be considered "mediocre".

I'm not sure how a free cooler which will give a moderate overclock on an 8-core FX can be considered "mediocre".

Just wanted to comment on the 'FREE' thing. It's not. Only way to get one is by purchasing a processor. It is included in that cost. It's not free.

It's a free paper weight.

They gave an Opteron Heat pipe cooler a cool name. That's about it.

After this thread, I tried my FX9370 in the Pro Gaming with the wraith. It's humming along on stock settings 4.4-4.7 turbo without issue running the AMD stability test. I know it's not the hardest test in the box but probably good enough for most users. Thermal margin is sitting between 13-15c 2133 ram and auto on the 970 is 2200 HT/NB. I'm going to set the HTand NB speeds to see if that makes a difference but I imaginge it'll still run fine.

EDIT: OK that made a difference now sitting with about an 8c margin 2400NB/HT. @600 HT will need a raise in base clock. I'm sure with some fine tuning I could get it to run cooler. I know this CPU and it doesn't need nearly it's stock VID to run at stock settings.

Last edited:
Meh, 4.7ghz turbo is almost impressive......

It's a waste of time Johan. There's already been a accurate write up....

Just wanted to comment on the 'FREE' thing. It's not. Only way to get one is by purchasing a processor. It is included in that cost. It's not free.

You also can't, to my knowledge, purchase one without a cooler.

Back