• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amp LED mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
As many (or not so many, lol) of you know my other hobbies are vintage audio (amps, receivers, turntables, etc), so today I decided to swap out the original dull and blown front panel lamps to new LED's. Went with a cool white with blue hue on my Fisher BA6000 amp. Took all but 15 minutes. I was expecting more blue so the analog meters aren't too washed out and you can see the needles dance. Doesn't look too bad, but I will be swapping them out again with ones that have more blue. Originals were very blue.

Anybody else into this hobby?

Attachments

• AMP.jpg
    AMP.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 14
Decided to take the JVC JR-S300 Mark II out of mothball and cook it up for a while today. Man I love the style of this thing. Fully restored including new LED's in the meters and dial needle.
I also have the matching CD-S200 tape deck making it a really nice set. Made between 1977-78.

JVC1.jpg

Figured I'd show one of my crown jewels: Fisher RS-2007 receiver. Fully restored and with new LED's (Green, blue & cool white). Made in 1978. She pushes 75wpc without breaking a sweat. I'm on the lookout for it's bigger brother the RS-2010. Yeah weird numbering for models. Who the hell thought that up? :rolleyes:

Anyways she's quite the looker and the power to boot! Don't you agree? :cool:

2007.jpg

Ohhhhhh... one of my favs, the Technics SA-818... or I like the SA series (late 70s) from Yamaha as well. Kenwood KR-5600 was cool too!

All those receivers look fantastic Neb! I'd love to have the skill to do that work myself. I have a Kenwood 7000 series tuner & amp from '76-'77. One channel on the pre-amp went out years ago. I'd love to see it restored at some point as it was a nice system when I got it. I watched a YT video of someone re-capping a Kenwood KA-7300 amp & Holy Cow! There's a lot of capacitors in that box.

Thanks guys! Yeah the recapping is easy peasy. I do the complete recap, but only swap out resistors/diodes if they need to be swapped. 99% of the time they don't unless they're fried. The caps tho, well you know, they dry out or they bulge and need to be swapped because of age.

Outputs are a different story. Darlington packs are easy and they have modded ones when the originals can't be found. Dialing the offset is tricky, so I try my best not to touch them unless there's no other recourse.

I get the rebuild kits from ebay. A good soldering iron/gun and patience ( with a bottle of Woodford Reserve ;)) and i'm off to the races.

Right now I'm having issues with a Dynaco ST-150 amp. Even after restoring it , it still has a hum which I can't narrow down :cry: I nested it and figured I'll try again another time.

I'll post pics of my collection.

Any advice on a good soldering iron? How about a desoldering tool/iron. I'd like to re-cap a few old motherboards too.

BTW, I've got the whisky component covered. :)

I've been using a weller gun for several years. Heats up quick and gets the job done. I've got several pens, but they take forever to heat up and more time to heat the old solder from the board, so I rarely use 'em anymore.

To remove solder quickly and effortlessly, I use a desoldering tool https://www.harborfreight.com/desol...CmaiyfqksedhOQMAdjWbifiOKXK3oDyRoCWtYQAvD_BwE

For tight spots I use the desolder wick.

Final tool (Whiskey) you've got covered, right? ;)

Here's my old tuner & amp. Kenwood KT-6500 & KA-7100. As I said earlier, one channel on the phono input is not working, but everything else is fine.
The 7100 is consider ok to good, but the KA-7300 is still sought after.

Kenwood01.JPG

Here's my old tuner & amp. Kenwood KT-6500 & KA-7100. As I said earlier, one channel on the phono input is not working, but everything else is fine.
The 7100 is consider ok to good, but the KA-7300 is still sought after.

View attachment 365325
Nice! I'll bet the Phono amp section needs a recap. Those Kenwoods are really nice!

My Dad had Marantz back in the day. He really loved it too. Listened to Bob Marley and the Beatles mostly that I can recall.
My Dad listened to Big Band stuff like Glen Miller & Benny Goodman (Mom liked Sinatra) on the mono HiFi inside a piece of furniture. I got one of his am/fm turntable furniture pieces as a hand-me-down when I was a teen. I remember listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced (my first LP) on that old HiFi. lol

@Nebulous That's an amazing looking collection. :thup:

Bad news: Seller boxed preamp and forgot to ship. Then seller passes off the box to son to ship, who also forgot :rolleyes:. Son calls parents to report his car stolen (along with boxed preamp in the back seat).

I was wondering why after I got the shipping info USPS tracking, that after 3 days the postal peeps were still awaiting to take possession of said box. So I fired off a note asking what was the hold up. Looks like it was really a "Hold-Up" :oops:

Seller's wife contacted me, apologized and refunded me in full along with said explanation. At least no one got hurt, but getting your car stolen really sux.

Back on the hunt for another CC 3000.

Back