• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec SP-400 Innards [Bad caps!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
blitzkrieg1110 said:
How do I know if my NeoHE 550 is a "CWT" I have no idea what that is.......or how to see if mine has bad caps. I just built my new rig.....I don't want it to fry.

Blitz,

I asked the same to OW. According to him the new Antec NEOs are Seasonic OEMs and much better that the Channel Well Antecs. They still aren't on the top of his list but they are good. I'll let OW make his expert comment on it for your needs.

From what I understand I don't think you have a problem.

RollingThunder said:
Blitz,

I asked the same to OW. According to him the new Antec NEOs are Seasonic OEMs and much better that the Channel Well Antecs. They still aren't on the top of his list but they are good. I'll let OW make his expert comment on it for your needs.

From what I understand I don't think you have a problem.
Well that's good to hear. I mean, I haven't had any problems so far but I've only been up and running for a day now. As long as I don't have any problems with the HE in the next few days, and I get some other opinions as well, I'll probably sell my OCZ Modstream 450

Thanks for the reply!!

blitzkrieg1110 said:
How do I know if my NeoHE 550 is a "CWT" I have no idea what that is.......or how to see if mine has bad caps. I just built my new rig.....I don't want it to fry.

Don't worry about it - none of the Neo HE's are CWT (Channel Well Technology). These are low end Seasonic, so they'll have some OST caps in there, but these do not have such a big problem with cooling. Should last much longer than the older Antecs.

After reading this, I'll have to open up my 3 year old Antec TP550 EPS12v and see about the caps. It and both my DH800 boards won't post anymore.

I just replaced two popped Nichicon caps in my Iwill DH800 last year :rolleyes:

How much longer are these guys going to keep taking these dead-end shortcuts?

Audioaficionado said:
After reading this, I'll have to open up my 3 year old Antec TP550 EPS12v and see about the caps. It and both my DH800 boards won't post anymore.

I just replaced two popped Nichicon caps in my Iwill DH800 last year :rolleyes:

How much longer are these guys going to keep taking these dead-end shortcuts?

According to OW, Antec has made some changes, one to Seasonic for some of their OEM power supplies (NEOs). Many of the recent Antec issues seem to be the residue of the last few years that is beginning to catch up with them, some sooner than later.

They just replaced my second failed TP 480 in 13 months with a new NEO 500 SLI and it's a Seasonic OEM.

Antec would like to apologize for any trouble or inconvenience caused by the recent increase in problems with our SmartPower 2.0 power supplies. The problems were primarily caused by the transition at one factory to RoHS manufacturing and compliant components and one component in particular, a capacitor on the +5V standby line. There were two primary failure modes due to this: the first being lower than normal output voltages on the +5V SB line, making a good power supply appear to be DOA due to boot failure; or the second being a failure of the same capacitor after some time in service, resulting in power supply failure.

These failures under no circumstance represent any danger to anyone or to properly connected components as the power supply is designed to shut down completely with this sort of failure.

Antec has taken the most stringent possible actions to remove any suspect power supplies from our supply chain. We have corrected the problem at the factory and instituted the highest possible level of testing and quality control. We have recalled stock from our distribution partners of all production that could possibly be affected and subjected it to 100% testing. And we have subjected all of our existing and incoming stock to rigorous batch testing. Any production code which had even a single failure during batch testing was submitted to 100% testing in order to remove all possible suspect stock.

Please be assured that this problem is behind us, and no other Antec products were affected by this problem. All of our other power supplies lines—EarthWatts, Basiq and TruePower Trio—are made in different facilities and were not exposed to this problem, so you can continue to buy and use your favorite Antec cases and power supplies with complete confidence.

If you have any problems with previously purchased products, remember you have a three year warranty on all SmartPower 2.0 products. You can contact Antec Customer Support at [email protected] and you will be provided with immediate hassle-free service to resolve your problems.

We appreciate your support and faith in Antec and our products. Again, we apologize for any disappointment we may have caused.

AntecRep said:
Antec would like to apologize for any trouble or inconvenience caused by the recent increase in problems with our SmartPower 2.0 power supplies. The problems were primarily caused by the transition at one factory to RoHS manufacturing and compliant components and one component in particular, a capacitor on the +5V standby line. There were two primary failure modes due to this: the first being lower than normal output voltages on the +5V SB line, making a good power supply appear to be DOA due to boot failure; or the second being a failure of the same capacitor after some time in service, resulting in power supply failure.

These failures under no circumstance represent any danger to anyone or to properly connected components as the power supply is designed to shut down completely with this sort of failure.

Antec has taken the most stringent possible actions to remove any suspect power supplies from our supply chain. We have corrected the problem at the factory and instituted the highest possible level of testing and quality control. We have recalled stock from our distribution partners of all production that could possibly be affected and subjected it to 100% testing. And we have subjected all of our existing and incoming stock to rigorous batch testing. Any production code which had even a single failure during batch testing was submitted to 100% testing in order to remove all possible suspect stock.

Please be assured that this problem is behind us, and no other Antec products were affected by this problem. All of our other power supplies lines—EarthWatts, Basiq and TruePower Trio—are made in different facilities and were not exposed to this problem, so you can continue to buy and use your favorite Antec cases and power supplies with complete confidence.

If you have any problems with previously purchased products, remember you have a three year warranty on all SmartPower 2.0 products. You can contact Antec Customer Support at [email protected] and you will be provided with immediate hassle-free service to resolve your problems.

We appreciate your support and faith in Antec and our products. Again, we apologize for any disappointment we may have caused.

AntecRep,

I was a victim twice with the problems you stated with the TPII 480 series. Yes, it was disappointing and frustrating but in all honesty your Antec support was outstanding in every way. Both issues were settled with a minimum of inconvenience and to my complete satisfaction. Thank you. :thup:

wow. I am impressed. This is the 2nd time I have seen a compan rep post to the board on an issue that directly involved me. I gotta say that my experience with Antec in returning my troublesome neo480 was definitely pleasurable and was one of the easiest exchanges I've made. I like a company that can grow a pair and own up to their mistakes.

i had been experiencing boot probs
with a low 5v line as well
with my smart power 500
bought it to run a asus a7n8x
pretty sure its not older than 2 years

this is great
i was planning on just chucking it
but ill will give the rma process a try now

u have renewed my faith in ure products

thanx antec rep

paul h

Yeah, Antec is great. I broke the usb ports on my old p180b. I flat out told them it was my fault, and they still sent me replacement parts without issue.

Back