• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever make a Amd Keychain??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I made mine out of an XP. Didn't even need a drill, i just used a steak knife, the organic material is just like powder when you scratch at it.

The reason your not able to drill through them is because the bit isn't designed for it. Try a Titanium bit, or a ceramic bit. Also a drilling oil, called fast tap, might help the life of your bit.

Good luck, i'll post a pic of my XP this afternoon, i'm off to school now

Everyone is comparing different chips!! You can't compare drilling through the weak old PCBs of the previous generations of chips to chips made out of extremely dense ceramic. You can't get through a ceramic Athlon/Duron without some serious hardware including a drill press(ie: no way with a dremel). The Athlon XPs, however, are made out of a plastic-like material, and are much softer. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard going through mine if it was dead and my warranty had expired. I imagine the P4 northwoods also use a plastic-like chip.

has anyone tried a cobalt bit? i use them to drill through stainless steel at work. i killed my duron 750 with 2.09volts but the core looks ok but one of those tan chips above it blew. (cache chip?) maybe i'll take it with me monday and see if a cobalt bit will do the trick.

weasel said:
has anyone tried a cobalt bit? i use them to drill through stainless steel at work. i killed my duron 750 with 2.09volts but the core looks ok but one of those tan chips above it blew. (cache chip?) maybe i'll take it with me monday and see if a cobalt bit will do the trick.

I like Yodums idea, and if the cobalt bit don't work, I would suggest you try it. A 12 ga Winchester 3" Magnum rifled slug should do nicely. :D :p

Just watch your shoulder, they kick. :D

well i fried two diamond tipped bits in 2 min flat on my fried athlon 1ghz then i just didnt learn my lesson... i fried my only dremel drill bit then i went out and bought a titanium dipped bit set... and fried two more bits before i gave up and jbwelded a ring onto it hehe i was throwin it up in the air yesterday and it hit the ground hard more than a few times and it didnt even scratch it... and they call theese things fragile hehe

are the k6's drillable? i have one of them laying around and i wanna keychain! maby ill take off the ziff and make one with that and the k6....

pp1
pp2
pp3

I drilled thru mine with no probs... Just a normal drill and bit...

maskedgeek said:
are the k6's drillable? i have one of them laying around and i wanna keychain! maby ill take off the ziff and make one with that and the k6....
No! I had a K6-2 that I fried 2 bits on before smashing it with a hammer.

Anyone thought of encasing the entire chip in like a clear epoxy resin? so you could leave the pins intact and everthing... Ideas?

Good Idea...My uncle mentioned that to me for my chip. He said find a place that makes key chains and have them dip it in apoxy resin...kinda like those cheap key chains that are plastic and say "I love Florida".
Any practial ideas on how to do this. Instead of a Keychain I thought of a zipper pull or hang it on your napsack/Briefcase/shoulderbag. This way everyone can see your kewl Proc and just think...now everyone will know you screwed up an expensive toy:p
Actually I still think it is like an intiation into the O/C'ers club..wear your first burn like a badge of honor. Now do screwups like my pic posted way above count as intiation..even though it was not a burnt chip...but a chipped chip instead:eek:

I found out you need some "clear polyester resin" like the stuff they use in model train landscapes for water, any model hobby shop should have exactly that, otherwise I believe that you can use just use the resin that they use for fiber glass? anyone know?

Upon further inspection it appears as if I have nicked the edge of the core :( confirmed my suspisions, but gonna make one hell of a keychain ;) It will always serve as a reminder, kinda like keeping a bone of your dead pet with you always, kinda morbid...

I think encapsulation would be the way I would go. I might have a dead K6-266, at least it didn't like the last board I put it in, gotta try it again on one I know it worked on.

Umm anyone try a masonry bit on that ceramic? That seems like the logical choice to me.

Also if you could expose and take out the core really carefully, you could encapsulate that in a case badge!

Road Warrior

My new rig:
CPU~ dead XP 1600+
Cooling~ unfinished water setup
Case~ unfinished Antec
CD-RW~ old Creative 8432

ME TOO! damn that's strange :)

I have my setup just chillin waiting for a new chip, whenever I can afford a new one that is... but the copper block gets nice and frosty at -5*C :) too bad it doesn't have a processor :( I realized my mistake was putting on my water block crooked... that is putting one side on first fully, before the others... reason: with all the insulation it is REALLY hard to put the processor in and out, and this was like my 10th time taking it out, and being careless shows... but doesn't pay...

1700+ = 115
1800+ = 124
1900+ = 150

I think I'm gonna go for the 1800+ We'll see how far -5*C will take it! 2.0 Ghz here I come! I also have the northbridge and video card cooled to the same temps, so we'll see what my GF3 Ti200 will do too, it was at Ti500 speeds at room temp, hopefully much further at -5... Best, Bill

Back