• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone frustrated with Win10 reboots in the middle of the night?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no idea why he deleted his post...

Not sure how w10 would improve your wifi though if it's the same adapter...maybe it messes with timeout thresholds or something? No clue with the same hardware..

Is your network comparison back to back test with windows 7 vs 10 on your new PC?

I deleted the post because I did not want to derail the thread.

:bang head:bang head:bang head Never will I ever ever ever ever let Win 10 update again!
I enabled the 2 services that I disabled and let Win 10 download and install updates, 1) it removed openCL.dll that core 21 needs to run. 2) I had to reinstall F@H and GPU drivers and lost the WU it was working on before the update :bang head:bang head:bang head
If your PC is going to do nothing but F@H then screw the updates, not worth the headache.

Oh, I've felt this as well. Win10 was of interest to me because of the free upgrade, and I did/do run some rigs on free W10test. There I expected "MS runs updates" and I did see that but only after I did update my PAID licenses on my main rig and others, the openCLL crap and actual folding halts started happening. So finished Win10 is WORSE than test? Win10 requires *a lot more maintenace* than Win7/8? Whats's up with that?
I guess I could live with a tool like Win10 God Mode to "turn on, update, turn off" when it suits me, ans I will try the two flags, but right now I'm seriously considering going back to W8.1 for my main rig.

Have they changed the active hours things? It was limited to 12 hours only when I looked at it.

I also stop+disable the Windows Update service (don't need to do others) to block the updating. I only turn it on after the 2nd Tuesday of each month which is when MS publishes routine security updates. It is possible to miss non-routine updates though. Also I found another side effect, that the Windows Store can't download when Windows Update is disabled. It is not important to me, as I only tried to use that once.

Hmm... just tried installing some software, that Windows detected I needed .net 3.5 and offered to download it. Failed. Turned on Windows Update, all was fine again. So... it seems a lot of the built in windows download stuff relies on the windowsupdate service.

Some rigs need windows for compatibility and to run dedicated software. Linux is not ready for the real world yet.

So far I have found nothing but annoying problems from Linux and all its many versions. It is definitely not simple to find solutions that actually work.

I am folding on Linux but only because I can't justify $100+ upgrades for multiple rigs on windows. My experience with Linux is never to use it if I can avoid it.

I still haven't found a solution to Ubuntu 12.04 where I need multiple users to have access. It creates the users and then won't let them sign in, saying their password is wrong, even though I created them with the password moments earlier. Weeks of searching for a solution left me allowing everyone to log into my main user account so they could use the computer. Fortunately the users are ignorant of Linux and don't know they have total control over the computer. It's only a matter of time before someone realizes their power. Linux sux 4 me.

I remember that issue on 12.04.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/190959/password-problem-after-creating-a-new-user

This is also super frustrating to me. I've had my laptop lid closed twice now when updates started to install. When this happens, the system hangs every time. I've had to completely reinstall Win 10 twice :(

I have a password, it says and shows I have a password but when I try to actually enter the account, Ubuntu 12.04 goes black for 5 seconds and then returns to ask me for the password again. I tried resetting that password, it accepts my new password but when I try to actually enter the account....no go. It just sits there asking for my password. Did I mention I have a love/hate relationship with Ubuntu?

Oh, just got another reboot in Win10 in the middle of the night....argh.

Whole passel of tips, tricks, work arounds and behavior modifications here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot Tried to keep the relevant links and so forth in the first post for ease of use. That, and so many actual Windows 10 users can benefit from the stuff there's really no sense in making them wade through 35 pages of "Let's hate Windows 10".
Normally I would have just started playing with .config files in Notepad long ago, but updates will undo all that anyway. I've been thinking about changing access permissions through a .cmd line, but so many odd things are intertwined in that OS I'm going to wait until I don't mind breaking several installs until I know yay or nay on that approach. I'll have to download a current .iso for that. My disc is pre Anniversary Update Windows Pro, which offered a lot more update control. Setting the connection to metered network shut off automatic updates completely back then, and that's how I left it. :D

I just LOVE running a week long render of an animation and out at the third or forth day checking it in the morning to find the rig sitting at the desktop, Idle, I kick myself for forgetting to boot it from the Linux drive and rendering in that operating system.
another thing is that even rendering on gpu's, windows is quite a bit slower than Linux................
I'm not advanced enough to know why.

one of my rendering rigs is in my little bees sewing room, she thought it was pretty so there it lives, it's also her check facebook twice a week rig, yup, my little bees face book box has a 6800K and two 1080's in it..........
she is just starting to get used to Linux and firefox so I'll be leaning more and more on Linux as she gets accustomed to it, but at 65, change takes a little time.
once in a while I have to reinstall Linux as Mozilla has now moved firefox updates to security updates and you can't kill the nag and once in a while the bee just gets tired of it and clicks update instead of not now............

Hmm... just tried installing some software, that Windows detected I needed .net 3.5 and offered to download it. Failed. Turned on Windows Update, all was fine again. So... it seems a lot of the built in windows download stuff relies on the windowsupdate service.

I know this is a bit late, but you don't need to download .net 3.5, it's already in Win 10. Goto the Control Panel then on Programs and Features then on click on Turn on Windows Features on or off and check .net 3.5

features.jpg

I get nagged every day, but I haven't updated for 18 months lol. I still get the virus scanner updates.

Back