• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have any experience with Thermaltake Silent Boost HSFU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am using one right now on an xp2500+@2312 1.75volt (185*12.5) installed on an Soyo kt400 ultra platinum.

Case temp: 32c
cpu idle: 36 to 37c NOTE motherboard doesn't support hlt instruction.
cpu load: 48c priming

Those are the same temps I was getting with a Thermaltake v7+ at medium setting, but now it is much more silent.

the silent boost looks like a so-so heatsink for silent cooling, a good amount of copper fins, but not wide enough, id go w/ a thermalright cooler if i were u, with more silent coolnig
________
ZOLOFT SETTLEMENT UPDATE

Last edited:
wow!

Yeh, when I heard about this unit, I got kinda excited ... I've been doing a ton of research to find a "quiet" solution, that will keep my wife from going deaf. This may be it!

Do you have the model A1889 or the A1889-01 (slight differences)?

:burn:

thanx glussier!

Any idea why they came out with a revision (model A1889-01) to that baby? Instead, it has a ball bearing fan and a longer life (60,000 hrs vs 50,000 hrs)...thats the only diff I can see from the website at least.

The only difference seems to be the bearing on the fans. So, I can't tell the difference. Both of these fans seems to have the same performance.

or...for a cheaper soultion, just go w/ the thermalright slk-900a at www.svc.com for 19.99 the cpupon code for 10.00 off is

vf900a - entered at end of ordering process

couple this with a silent 92 mm panaflow and ull have better cheaper cooling then wat ud get with the silent boost or w/e crap thermaltake puts out these days

btw, the slk-900a pwnz every other hs, besides its only other higher AMD model, the slk-947, also made by thermalright
________
Toys bondage

Last edited:
ud get with the silent boost or w/e crap thermaltake puts out these days

I don't know why you say this, but the 2 latest heatsinks from Thermaltake are the Silent Boost and the V12, and none of them is crap.

glussier said:

I don't know why you say this, but the 2 latest heatsinks from Thermaltake are the Silent Boost and the V12, and none of them is crap.

they may not be, but the price that they put on them is outrageous, and the performance that ud get w/ one is not comparable to the highest thermalright hs, another thing is that thermaltake raises their prices, just because they are more well-known and like belkin, ud probably get an equivalent or better product if it was lesser-known

in belkin's and thermaltake's case, ur paying for their company's name and not the actual product, just cuz its more expensive doesnt automatically make it a better product
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited:
Thermaltake Silent Boost seems to do a good job of cooling your cpu quietly.

Unless you want to overclock your system to the max I would imagine you should be happy with it.

I didn't get my 2500 to see how high it could go (although I am curious), I just want to get "more-than-I-paid-for" ... so if I could use this cooling, running quietly at 3200 speed (2200 +/-), I'd be happy.

Cheers

blazer99 said:
I didn't get my 2500 to see how high it could go (although I am curious), I just want to get "more-than-I-paid-for" ... so if I could use this cooling, running quietly at 3200 speed (2200 +/-), I'd be happy.

Cheers

I run one of my Barton with that cooler at over 2300mhz, so you should be able to run yours at 2200mhz.

glussier ...
Case temp: 32c
cpu idle: 36 to 37c NOTE motherboard doesn't support hlt instruction.
cpu load: 48c priming

When you said temp 48c @ load, you used prime to test with ...
How long did you run it?
Have you taken any temps following game-play (quake3, gun metal, etc) or game benchmarks?
And please tell me, what is HLT instruction?

Cheers again glussier ... This is encouraging ... cuz QUIET would be good!

:thup:

After a game of Quake3 or RTWC, an hour or so, cpu temp is around 45c.

The hlt instruction puts the cpu in a wait state, permitting the cpu to cool down. win2k and winxp supports this instruction and use-it to cool down the cpu when not required, providing your motherboard supports-it. All intel motherboards support this instruction, but this is not the case for AMD motherboards.

Oups, edited: After running prime for an hour or so, I took the temp, but by that time the cpu as pretty reach it's max.

Excellent ... rubbing hands together ... I am very close to ordering one now!

That's amazing, considering that fan is running soooo slowwww! But it all adds up to QUIET ... it must have a lot to do with the all-copper construction, together with the solid copper base.

Did you just use the thermal paste that came with the unit, or did you use anything "special"? I've got a tube of the amazing Arctic Silver 5 ... I used it when I installed the stock heat-sink.

I used AS3 'cause this is what I had, you should use your AS5.

The all copper heatsink plus the fan design also has a lot to do with this cooler's efficiency.

i think i'm sold.

Tons of reviews available (just search google). Many reviews suggest this cooler is not for overclockers ... other reviewers tested with overclocked cpu's and they performed just fine. Sure, slightly higher temps under load, than the BIG coolers (slk800's and such)...but there were some surprises in there.

But, for getting 3200 speeds (and maybe a little bit more...hehe), from a 2500 (just like you did), this silent cooler should be just fine.

:clap:

Back