• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone thinking about a PS4/XOne for main HTPC gaming rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I have a nice PC, and have been playing BF3 on it etc... contemplating getting BF4 on it as well.

However, after seeing the specs/info on the PS4, I am considering getting one - which would pretty much take over as the main rig. The new generation is pretty much a PC with decent graphics in the 7850/gtx660 range, but with "console" optimizations which can use programming magic to make it look like it can achieve twice the efficiency - as some have claimed. I do believe this to an extent, as some console titles were still impressing me back in 2010/11 several years after the PS3/360 were released, and my PC was leaps and bounds faster than the consoles.

The main advantages I can see are:
1. Sit on a couch when playing
2. Can play with a guest
3. Use my main home theater sound and big screen TV
4. Free up the computer so my wife can watch her shows
5. Can take over as main HTPC (my PS3 YLOD'd last week)
6. 500G storage/8 core console capable of all kinds of awesome features

Disadvantages:
1. I'd have to sell the GTX 680 to make it a mostly seemless transaction (might not sell it in the end lol)
2. Mouse/KB support is not yet known for BF4 or other titles..

Anyone else?

I don't think it's a good idea to replace the computer. I'm sure you'll hate yourself after playing fps games in a computer, the transition will be real tough and sure your gaming skills will suffer.

I'm considering getting a ps4 since I have a ps3 and I use for some games (specially with the kids) and as a media center. I'll play the exclusive titles but I'll keep my computer for my intensive fps gaming sessions.

Good call anhkilator, I have even read recently an IGN article stating that the graphics on BF4 are much better on PC then PS4. The reviewer had played both versions at Gamescon so this is pretty recent info. This also makes sense because I'm pretty sure most multi platform next gen games have been built on high end computers ( the demos at E3 even ran on PC gaming rigs with GTX 780's in them). Btw I have a computer and play on the couch, most games nowadays are compatible with a 360 controller. If I can afford it I will be getting both the Xbox one and Ps4 at launch (I already put down a deposit on both of them) solely for the exclusives and use my PC for the multiplatform titles. I think at least for 2013 & maybe 2014 your 680 and my 780 will still outclass consoles in terms of graphics and performance.

The main advantages I can see are:
1. Sit on a couch when playing
2. Can play with a guest
3. Use my main home theater sound and big screen TV
4. Free up the computer so my wife can watch her shows
5. Can take over as main HTPC (my PS3 YLOD'd last week)
6. 500G storage/8 core console capable of all kinds of awesome features
1. Get a wireless keyboard/mouse, or use a controller for your PC.
2. Good point, but split screen is no fun anyway (even on a huge TV).
3. You could do this with your PC, too.
4. Let her watch her shows on another device.
5. See 3, 1.
6. Easily beaten by a PC.

Keep in mind that, at launch, graphics and performance of the new console games probably won't be much better than on the 360 and PS4. It's going to take time (and money) for developers to get accustomed to optimizing games for the new platforms. Also, you don't have to pay a monthly/yearly subscription to play games on your PC, like with Live or the PSN+.

Also, playing an FPS on a console is just doing yourself an injustice, IMO. FPS games are generally games of fine precision and skill.. neither of which are really applicable on the console.

Keep in mind that, at launch, graphics and performance of the new console games probably won't be much better than on the 360 and PS4. It's going to take time (and money) for developers to get accustomed to optimizing games for the new platforms. Also, you don't have to pay a monthly/yearly subscription to play games on your PC, like with Live or the PSN+.

Very good points, on ps3, first games were very simple, they weren't using all the potential of the console or weren't optimized. Also, some of the new games announced, will be on current systems as well, (like GTAV) so it can't be different at all in new gen consoles.

KEEP YOUR PC!!!!

There is a slight chance PS4 and Xbox One may suprise us but so far everything points to PC dominance for at least another year or so until developers get the hang of these new consoles.

Does anyone really think this 8 core buisness and 8 Gb of VRAM will really make such a big difference compared to an intel 4 core cpu and a decent relatively new graphic card?

It's a different animal altogether, and first and foremost, it's a slower 8 core processor. It depends on software optimizations to keep up, basically an AMD apu with beefed up graphics and shared vram.

I'd keep that beast pc you have OP, get the ps4 as an accesory to your own machine.

Yeah for now I'm leaning towards my PC... maybe get the PS4 as an accessory as mentionned.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I COULD move my PC to the entertainment unit and get a super cheap PC for the wife.. On the other hand, my oldest kid will have the funds to buy a PS4 when it comes out, so I could give that shot for a while.

I made this thread more about a discussion than an argument of PC vs consoles... Basically a different approach to HTPC...

I have a HTPC with a Q6600, 8gb DDR2 ram, and a 7770. It plays everything I can throw at it fine. You don't need much to play games these days, just a basic PC like that and a 360 controller. Of course I have a PS3 too because I like playing JRPG's. If it's something you are interested in then you will find a way to spend money on it.

Yeah I really like some of the features that the new consoles will bring.. I don't think most users will use a quarter of all the features - but all the extra stuff makes the PS4/XOne quite versatile..

I just saw yet another article today saying next gen consoles running BF4 is compared to medium settings on a relatively good PC

I recently found out that there's a rumor about a bundled psp/ps4 combo for $500 at the end of the year??? If that's true, that's what I'm getting!

I just saw yet another article today saying next gen consoles running BF4 is compared to medium settings on a relatively good PC

Find that article, I think I read it too - it mentionned that the PS3 version of BF4 looked like medium settings.

Back