• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple powered by amd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Did anyone see last night on The Screen Savers where leo was reporting from comdex and said that apple and amd might be joining together since apple can't compete with speed anymore? lol apple has been behind in terms of speed for a while. it's supposed to be announced tonight, i'm watching to find out!!!

will never happen.

apple will not open themselves up to x86 processing and apple would be a minute portion of AMD's sales anyways.

if apple opens themselves to x86 processing they will just be a stylish dell, compaq, etc. they will turn into just another pc company and will likely flounder.

wouldnt mind seein mac do better then they are. i have to use some macs at school for video editing and they're alright once you get used to them. I'm still sorta lost though.

main thing I'm tryin to get at though is it's nice to have competition. hate to see one of the major competitors go under.

=(

kaltag said:
Did anyone see last night on The Screen Savers where leo was reporting from comdex and said that apple and amd might be joining together since apple can't compete with speed anymore? lol apple has been behind in terms of speed for a while. it's supposed to be announced tonight, i'm watching to find out!!!

The same was actual 'mentioned' regarding Apple & Intel. THough its all rumors & gossip.
THIS however is truth...

Mmmm.... 64 bit......

After IBM perfected the copper cpu (gekko), they went nuts, in the end they could out do both intel AND amd in terms of performance and cooling (which equals amazing overclocks even though they make like .09 micron stuff now)

Maxvla said:
will never happen.

apple will not open themselves up to x86 processing and apple would be a minute portion of AMD's sales anyways.

if apple opens themselves to x86 processing they will just be a stylish dell, compaq, etc. they will turn into just another pc company and will likely flounder.

well seeing as though they have.... your point is moot, the problem comes in is wether or not motoralo can cut a deal or not, and they dont want to.....
its just another option i suppose...

also if apple when to x86, it would still be an apple considering you still get mostly everything developed by them...

tbirdkiri said:

well seeing as though they have.... your point is moot, the problem comes in is wether or not motoralo can cut a deal or not, and they dont want to.....
its just another option i suppose...

also if apple when to x86, it would still be an apple considering you still get mostly everything developed by them...
if apple goes x86 there would be no reason to buy macs over dells, etc since it would all be the same parts at that point.

the reason apple is successful is their customer's reliance on proprietary hardware and to an extent... software. sure they've got the cool factor, but that only gets you so far.

take away the proprietary hardware and they become compaq with flashy plastic computers. actually they would be much much smaller than compaq. more on the scale of the toshiba computer line. ie fairly small.

Back