• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic silver cleanup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A person

Registered
Apologies if I posted this in the wrong section; i'm not good at this "where do they go" stuff.

Here's the deal: some arctic silver got onto my ramchips in my video card. I wiped it off w/ a paper towel, hoping that would just be all right. I plugged it back into my comp, and turned it on. 5-10 minutes later, my display went completely wacked. Sure, i had the video card oc'ed, and sure, my pci clock is out of spec. I reset them all, and the distortion was still evident.

I took out my vid card and whipped out some trusty isopropyl alcohol and tried to wipe off the chips completely. I thorughly cleaned it, making sure there is no more sign of it. Good, so i plugged it back in, and the distortion occurred again. This time, the distortion was different: it was just as bad, but it looked a lot more different. Obviously, the arctic silver is the fault. I took it out again and put it up against a very powerful magnifying glass. From there, I found some very minute evidence of arctic silver between the chips' catapillar legs.

Now, how do I get that out? I don't want to RMA my card now (There's no warranty anyway), and I think I can fix this myself. Please help!!!

Thanks

Matrox G450 on a Celly 1.6 (12*133) w/ abit st6 and 512MB PC133 2-2-2

Have you tried something like a small artist's paintbrush and the alcohol? You don't need to use much fluid, as you don't want the 'silver stream' running around the board.

Hope ya get it, bud.

Welcome to the forums!!!
It's always nice to see A person here. :D:D:D

Can you describe the distortion on your monitor? You might be able to fix it with a quick deguass (usually pic of a magnet on the monitor menu). It's unlikely, but at least it looks cool.

Other than that, go with Diggrr's advice, and maybe try switching resolutions.
Good luck.

Well, i took a toothbrush and some alcohol and cleaned up the mess, i believe. Now, I think some water got into it (well, I wanted to do this over a sink instead of over my keyboard). The distortion before is to the point where i just can't read anything. Now, the screen has a purplish tinge, and my curser has been making stuff change color and stuff like that. Oh well, I hope a new matrox card comes out soon; i've always been an avid fan of matrox (i don't like 3d games too much)

Back