• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there any good free proxies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harderclock

im using a trial version of wingate 4 right now but dont really like it and im having a few freeze up problems on the server computer so i want to try something else.does anyone know of any good and easy home network programs (free or cheap)that i can use to avoid all this freezing up.my setup is both computers are linked together using a crossover cable and both are using win 98se and the internet connection is cable.if you need more info just ask.thanks alot

There are a few for free but not many and I'm having a hard time thinking of which ones were for free.

Go to Download.com and do a PC Search for proxy and just go through them. Several will cost you nothing , although, I can't comment on their effectiveness.

For $10 you can go to Best Buy and get another NIC and run one of your PCs as a router. In my opinion that's the best solution if low on cash.

I downloaded a trial version of Winproxy and it works great. I had an old Acer P100 in my closet with 24 megs of RAM and installed win proxy on it and im using it as my gateway. I have had no problems with it. I used to use ICS and like this much better it does time out after 30 days but all i did was turn my clock back and it still works. I don't care if the time is wrong on the host because all im using it for is to share internet connections anyways and i don't even have a monitor plugged into it anyways :). It saved me from buying a router.

I have to say the best proxy i have ever used is proxyplus download it for download.com just read the documentation and your all set.

Its easy and quick too

I had a router running with an old 486 running off a floppy disk and 2 nic cards. Worked great, it was a Linux distro but I can't remember which one.

thanks guys for all the info im running ics right now with absolutely no problems but i like some of your ideas i might just one day use an old computer as a router as it seems like a real good idea,again thanks a lot

hey
there is program made by analogx

it's called analogx proxy or something like that

free but very good, although can not be customized that much.n e ways......search for it in download.com, it's there

lennytiger said:
I have to say the best proxy i have ever used is proxyplus download it for download.com just read the documentation and your all set.

Its easy and quick too

I've used this also, good little program (only uses about 200kb in memory) and is free for upto 2 clients plus the server using the net at once.

the only problem I found was that it would be neater and easier if there was a system tray icon rather than being left in the system tray.

If this has now been changed please let me know and i will update my version...

lennytiger said:
the only problem I found was that it would be neater and easier if there was a system tray icon rather than being left in the system tray.

If this has now been changed please let me know and i will update my version...

There is an option in v2.4 and above, I think it is in the advanced settings.

Back