• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arrgh recent instability 3.4 Prescott=BLACK SCRN!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunker1

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=351296
Please check this thread out. While I first thought i had a vid card issue it appears now to be a CPU issue.
FSB is at 221, on air, no biggie, but I crash to locked up black screen in game and just 5 minutes ago it auto rebotted on me!
I was told to pump up vcore volts to 1.6?
Its at 1.45 now.... advice....please.
System appears to be getting worse isntead of better,,,,,, see signatre for spec.

have you tried running your cpu @ 3.4 with default vcore to see if the problem is still occuring.

the way to start troubleshooting whats wrong in this situation is to eliminate some of the possiblities.

id start by setting your oc on your cpu and memory back to stock rated speeds and go from there.

also from the other thread someone recommended that you up your agp voltage to 1.6 at least that will give you more juice to your northbridge which could definantly use it since its a 865 and not 875.

if your getting a 54c load temp that could be your problem as well asus uses a probe to read the cpu temp and is often read 5-8 degrees below the actual cpu temp

First off, I don't know who told you to try 1.6v, but please don't do that. Maybe they were thinking you had a Northwood? With Prescotts I would limit vcore to no more than 1.5v. I would check temps before trying higher vcore. In fact, I would back off the O/C until you figure out what is the problem.

prime 95 PASS at Default

OK So guys do you now suggest i go up step wise on FSB first or should i adjust memory first?

1.6 on air :eek: :eek: On my system if I feed it 1.55-1.575vcore the system acts real funny and that's with water!!

Be patient and do a lot of reading on this thread before attempting to overclock your chip anymore. With these Prescotts there are MANY factors that atribute to stability problems #1 being HEAT and PSU power.

dunker1 said:
OK So guys do you now suggest i go up step wise on FSB first or should i adjust memory first?

have you reset your fsb and all oc back to their rated speeds and tested them that way first?

if you have has that cleared up the problems you were having while playing games?

not to be rude here but we kind of need more information on just where your at to try and help you more.

Details

Every thing is reset to stock. I ran Prime 95 for an hour+ at stock no problems
Heat level was normal 35-39C (on air). No in game crashes.
I have been posting for some time, and have read tonnes of the threads. Although the presecott is a relatively new chip for me, and has caused me no end of grief with its flakey behaviour.
To recap - new PSU, so that factor is out. That leaves heat.... adn I am not seeing high temps on a load in games....
But I will cranking this up slowly, and Prime 95 test at each new level.
Any other advice is welcome, I thank you for you patience with me. ;)
Oh and Merry Christmas :santa2:

Just for clarification, from the other thread I said increase AGP voltage to 1.6 not CPU :) Probley fry something giving it 1.6V on air.

Back