• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

as we all know...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aqrhine_tg_xXx

as we all know distilled water does not conduct electricity. i even made sure of this use a friend a metal ruler and a cow taser :p but it is extremely corrosive :eek: not good. mineral oil is just right for cooling electronics but it is too dense and messy. then theres liquid nitrogen and some flourindrine (<<<<mispelled word.) but they cost around 500 buck for a gallon and i need 3 gallons is there any non conductive non corrosive liquid thats fairly cheap?

Aqrhine_tg_xXx said:
as we all know distilled water does not conduct electricity. i even made sure of this use a friend a metal ruler and a cow taser :p but it is extremely corrosive :eek: not good. mineral oil is just right for cooling electronics but it is too dense and messy. then theres liquid nitrogen and some flourindrine (<<<<mispelled word.) but they cost around 500 buck for a gallon and i need 3 gallons is there any non conductive non corrosive liquid thats fairly cheap?

Correct me if im wrong because I very well maybe but I dont think that distilled water is extremely corrosive (if thats what you were meaning). If it is then why are people using it in w/c systems (yes i use it too) to slow down the process of corrorsion.

Most people use distilled water because it is not conductive, as for highly corrosive I don't know, but it definatly doesn't help again corrosion. For this many people use Redline Water Wetter and Anti-freeze.
From what I hear antifreeze is better but I dont really know, though it is used in most car engines so I bet it helps (it and distilled water, water wetter to but that is for preformance and I think is used in conjuction with Antifreeze).

Not aruging or anything but I thought it did help against corrosion because distilled water doesnt have the salts and other stuff that pure tap water would have in it which speeds up the processes of the corrosion of copper.

It does help against corrosion compared to tap water. I think you probably had aluminum/copper parts in the same system touching the same water which would cause extremely fast corrosion without a corrosion inhibitor.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would two kinds of metal in the same system speed up corrosion?

thats not a dumb question its a pretty good one....i personally dont know the answer to it...maybe some one does?

It's called the battery effect. With the two different metals the copper will steal electrons from the aluminum to fill up it's incomplete electron rings.

addendum: Here's a link to a site with info on the various elements found on the periodic table. Copper is listed there as #29 (by atomic number) with the abreviated initials "Cu".

Holy new mod batman! Have I been out of town for too long?

wow... hehe, hi eobard... whoever you are:D

Or are those just fancy green stars on a special member?

EDIT:
OH, heheh, I see congrate on becomeing a mod then eobard (saw the post in OC comunity now:D)

Last edited:
Hmm, I was told that distilled water just prevents corrosion but it will still pickup charges no matter what so it is kind of pointless to assume distilled water will keep things safe if things spill.

eobard said:
It's called the battery effect. With the two different metals the copper will steal electrons from the aluminum to fill up it's incomplete electron rings.
. . .

I see . . . thanks eobard. I've looked around for some more info on the battery effect and so far haven't found anything going into great detail on the subject. Still, I get the concept now :)

well my plain was for a submerged system not a average watercooled system.

i have a bad *** design for the accrylic case too it will own all

Another correct me if I'm wrong post ;) but I understood the reasons for Distilled aren't so much for accidental spills, but to prevent mineral deposits, gunk sticking to tubes, blocks, and whatnot. The very small amounts of additives we use(antifreeze, wetter) is enough to for it to conduct if we have a spill anyway.

I also understood vegetable oils used in submerged cooling can be less dense than water.

Last edited:
Doesn't a cow taser have two electrodes on the end? The reason your "friend" (read: crash test dummy) didn't get shocked was the water conducted between the two electrodes (better, easier, less resistive path), and he wasn't grounded enough to make himself a good path for the shock.

Distilled water does conduct, just as well as normal tap water. I used a lantern battery (6 volt), a fan, a glass dish of steam distilled water and a multimeter to prove it.
Even at one inch gap it conducted better than 80%.

I really wish someone would invent a fluid that conducted heat faster than water, was dielectric, and even UV reactive would be a treat, but alas, some large business would buy him out and sell the product for hundreds per gallon.
Even a way to thin out mineral oil without losing it's dielectric strenth or softening plastics and PCB's would be great.

NO, i did not stick both ends into the water im not retarded.

yes i have also done test with multimeters and yes i do know how to use them.

it does not conduct im tellin you

Back