• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

As5 application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

When I got the SLK900 I lapped it then applied As5 and for a template for the paste I marked off spots on the side of the hs and used those marks to make a template. The As5 is only as thick as the depth of the tape. Should I have made a bit thicker. The reason I ask, I have clocked my proc. up to 2.3GHz and while testing (prime and folding) my system would crash. I under clocked it and started doing some tests at stock speeds. When I went back to stock my temps didnt change and actually might have gone up a degree. I am doing a memtest as we speak and so far no errors. As I am going through things that it might be As5 always come into mind. Do you think the depth of the tape is actually enough paste to cool as it should.

as long as you applied an even coat over the whole cpu, then it shouldnt be a problem. If its the thickness of tape, then I would say you did a good job. AS5 takes some time to set in though, so dont expect something major right off the bat.

It doesn't matter if he applied to the heatsink or to the cpu, tho you really need to make sure it covers the cpu. I'm not sure how you made it the thickness of the tape tho, in fact, what tape are you referring to? And tx is right, as5 takes several days if not weeks to fully set in.

Shaitan said:
It doesn't matter if he applied to the heatsink or to the cpu, tho you really need to make sure it covers the cpu. I'm not sure how you made it the thickness of the tape tho, in fact, what tape are you referring to? And tx is right, as5 takes several days if not weeks to fully set in.

I made a rectangular template out of clear tape then I put some As5 on and used a credit card to apply using the depth (albiet minute) of the tape and slid the credit card to evenly apply it.

I don't know what your Vcore is but I would re-apply and follow the AS5 instructions, in my experience thermal paste temps don't change much after a couple of hours of 40+C .
Good Luck .

Back