• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Gene Owner Resources - BIOS, Guide, Reviews, and Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yesterday I made some fast tests with cpu on stock and there is no difference in Spi 1m or 32m using 0086 bios with Spi booster.

Didn't read the thread completely, but thought I'd let you guys know.

If you guys are rocking an SLi and your system's VGA_LED stays lit, probably it's because of the BIOS.

Flash to 0075 and it gets fixed, at least for me.

It was pretty fun when the MVG arrived and (remember, my system is completely watercooled with a kinda complex loop) I got a VGA_LED error, found no info nowhere and decided to tear down the whole liquid cooling and boot piece by piece, getting the same error even with stock HSFs, just to realize that the BIOS was the culprit.

EDIT: Guys, how can I set custom temp curves with Fan Xpert II? It doesn't let me lower the fan speed of the San Aces. Only set them to 0 or over 90.

Last edited:
Finally got to run my 3rd chip tonight, and its a doozy compared to my others. It does single threaded benches at 6.3GHz+:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291314
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291313
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291315

I treated this chip differently than my previous 2 chips... I did not enable LN2 mode, and I left all voltages at auto except DRAM and VCore. Ran 1.7V or lower all night, except just before shutting down I had to increase vcore .75 in order to get pifast and sp1m to run just a little faster than sp32m would run.

Finally got to run my 3rd chip tonight, and its a doozy compared to my others. It does single threaded benches at 6.3GHz+:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291314
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291313
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291315

I treated this chip differently than my previous 2 chips... I did not enable LN2 mode, and I left all voltages at auto except DRAM and VCore. Ran 1.7V or lower all night, except just before shutting down I had to increase vcore .75 in order to get pifast and sp1m to run just a little faster than sp32m would run.

Nice scores , or at least much better than last one :thup:
I have no idea why when you set most on auto then cpu is clocking a bit better. I had exactly the same benching 3D on 2 cores last days.
Try your PSC on the same settings as tridents but 9-11-9-28, 9-12-9-28 timings ~1.75V. Should be 2-3 seconds faster in Spi32m ;)
Btw. I still have no info about prizes in gskill hwbot competition. 11 days passed since end :-/

I am going to sell my board due to cold bug issues, but I can not decide if I want to get another one of these or go with something else.

Yeah Splave was saying by the end of June the formula should be out. I'm guessing for around $350 (no official word)

I would go formula/extreme if I could do it over again and I had the money... I can't use the Revodrive with a GPU on LN2, unless I put the Revo in slot 1 and the GPU in slot 2 which leaves the GPU running at x8. I think people say that running in PCIe x8 hurts benchmark scores by a couple percent or so.

I would go formula/extreme if I could do it over again and I had the money... I can't use the Revodrive with a GPU on LN2, unless I put the Revo in slot 1 and the GPU in slot 2 which leaves the GPU running at x8. I think people say that running in PCIe x8 hurts benchmark scores by a couple percent or so.

Depends which card. It's more that I noticed performance drop while running my cards on pcie 1.1 while all are 2.0. I didn't try pcie 3.0 as I don't have any card like that ( yet ). I'm not sure if setting pcie 2.0 from x16 to x8 will give the same effect ... I bet that for new high end cards it will.
It also happens in only some older benchmarks where fps is really high ( 1k+ fps ).

What about PCIe riser card-cables?

Guys, if you want to set custom temp curves in Fan Xpert II, to "unlock" the curves (0-100), you have to edit "C:\ProgramData\FanXpert2\info.xml" and set all the "MinDutyToKeepRunning" and "MaxDutyToKeepStill" values to 0, this way, you'll be able to set curves for fans that the auto-tuning thingy does not support.

Somebody have a 5ghz guide on ivybridge? (not just put x50...if not with all settings explained in V Gene )

Added 0904 to the first post. I thought I had already done that.

Also flashing to that version, I'm still on 0402, but I don't have any profiles setup that really matter. 0402 has actually been fine for me as well, just want to try out something new.

In 0904 there is one nice update that was also in 0086. Since these versions you can save profiles to USB drive ... and there is SPI boost option but I see no difference in spi time.

I've yet to post here til now. I'm running 0701. Perfectly stable; no issues with anything. Generally I like to keep things up to date; but at the same time I'm also wondering if updating is worth it at all.

When you save to USB; can you save the profiles for a particular BIOS version; then reload them for another version? (I doubt it?)

I haven't tried it yet; but I remember with my Rampage Gene II if I updated my bios; my profiles would still be there; but not as useable profiles; it'd error. Is this the same for this board? Thanks.

In 0904 there is one nice update that was also in 0086. Since these versions you can save profiles to USB drive ... and there is SPI boost option but I see no difference in spi time.

I'm going to test out the spi booster as well. I saved a profile to USB, didn't check to see if it was there afterwards, and haven't tried reloading it yet. If I remember next time I run, I'll save a profile and share it in this thread... Then someone can see if it works in a different bios version.

That is the only difference I noticed really going from 0402 to 0904. Functionally everything else was the same - no drawbacks, no perks.

Back