• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And we have a privacy update to the thread! Would you like to permanently ditch your Activity History logging? Well, by golly, now you can forget the potential embarrassment of your kids (or your brother in law) jumping on the family rig and discovering your penchant for streaming Britney Spears videos and National Geographic pygmy pictures! (If you're old enough to have caught that last reference you should still be on XP, anyway) I suppose you could hide worse things, but I can't think of any at the moment. As usual, this will be added to the OP for the TL;DR crowd.

So without further preamble, the link. Thanks to Major Geeks for this (and so many others) https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_windows_10_activity_history_permanently.html

And we have a privacy update to the thread! Would you like to permanently ditch your Activity History logging? Well, by golly, now you can forget the potential embarrassment of your kids (or your brother in law) jumping on the family rig and discovering your penchant for streaming Britney Spears videos and National Geographic pygmy pictures! (If you're old enough to have caught that last reference you should still be on XP, anyway) I suppose you could hide worse things, but I can't think of any at the moment. As usual, this will be added to the OP for the TL;DR crowd.

I am on XP. :D

So without further preamble, the link. Thanks to Major Geeks for this (and so many others) https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_windows_10_activity_history_permanently.html

Thanks but curiously it was already turned off on mine, must have been ShutUp10! or SpybotAntiBeacon.

Thanks but curiously it was already turned off on mine, must have been ShutUp10! or SpybotAntiBeacon.

Keeping up with the W10 changes could be a full time job for someone. The only reasons I'm even marginally interested is A) I started this mess, so I feel somewhat obligated to see it through, and 2) World Of Warcraaft DX12 optimizations. I could have (and have had) a lot worse hobbies than this thread. LOL

OK, I've decided to pick up a new SSD next month and try this again. If I can move my games to a new partition on my existing boot drive I should be able to do some head to head W7/W10 comparisons that way. They'll have a broad ranging significance limited only to-my rig. But it could still provide some useful data. I've been slacking on my rig lately and buying other toys, but it's time to get back to business-err...play. So stay tuned! I have an oncology appt. Monday so I'm thinking it may be time to get around to some of the things I want to do.

Well, kids, it seems Windows 10 no longer has Homegroup. This could make setting up a home network troublesome if you have to, want to, or think you might. Especially if you have other Windows rigs that aren't infected with the Waffen OS. Fortunately for us the better (than mine) minds at OCF are on the job.

The thread I gleaned this from is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/793399-How-to-create-a-home-network-on-Windows-10 I'll add the requisite brief entry in the OP.

Well, kids, it seems Windows 10 no longer has Homegroup. This could make setting up a home network troublesome if you have to, want to, or think you might. Especially if you have other Windows rigs that aren't infected with the Waffen OS. Fortunately for us the better (than mine) minds at OCF are on the job.

The thread I gleaned this from is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/793399-How-to-create-a-home-network-on-Windows-10 I'll add the requisite brief entry in the OP.

i didn't realize anyone actually used the home group thing lol i have a home network and don't use it at all, never have.

All (the whole 2 1/2) my rigs are W7 or XP. My movies, recorded TV, music, etc., are on my main rig so I stream from that, hence Homegroup. With what I'm paying for my really crappy internet there may come a day it just won't be in the budget and my router will go with it. Doesn't mean I want to quit watching Last Man Standing reruns in bed. LOL

All (the whole 2 1/2) my rigs are W7 or XP. My movies, recorded TV, music, etc., are on my main rig so I stream from that, hence Homegroup. With what I'm paying for my really crappy internet there may come a day it just won't be in the budget and my router will go with it. Doesn't mean I want to quit watching Last Man Standing reruns in bed. LOL

mine are all on a network share i just map the shared drive to all the pc's in the house and voila G:\ on all pc's is the same drive. also map it to smart devices like my fire tv's and whatnot so they have access to the movies/tv shows. one less thing you have to rely on windows to do for you.

I don't have any smart devices, so I'm good there. LOL No cable TV, either, just an antenna. Homegroup is way easier than screwing around with networks for me.

So... I bit the bullet and upgraded to Win10 from my Win7 Ultimate X64...

And after a bunch of updates and fiddling around with Nvidia drivers it all works now :)

I used my previously created USB installed (I used the Media creation tool months ago) and that got me installed with Win10 build 1703, which then was updated to 1803.
I started the install from inside Win7 and I now have a fully activated Win10, which I thought wasn't going to work because the free copy period has ended.

Now it's just a matter of getting everything back to a dark style theme....

Oh yeah. We all love win10!:thup: best windows version evrr!

Seems to be good so far. I was very hesitant to update when it first came out. Seems what I have been worried about isn't too bad now. (Driver updates, forced updating etc.)

Back