• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP Barton, Athlon XP-M Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
too many good deals on mobo+CPU combos that negate the investment in a 2003 system that simply can't match 2009 (cheap) hardware.

Believe it or not I'm getting paid for upgrading my system, literally, I'm making $80 from all of this. If you know how to hastle it's easy. Instead of buying everything separately, it is possible to buy a cpu, mem, mobo combo, keep what you want, sell what you don't want, make money. Do several of these and you have a new system. :mad:

Yea, new 2009 system is nice, I agree, but I can do it all, and I mean ALL, with my present 2400+ system, running 1 gig of DDR266. The only reason I'm messing with it all is because my mobo is having some problems, so I need to get a new mobo. The reason I don't want to spend any money at all on this is because I rather spend all my money on food, guns and ammo. You guys have no idea what will happen to this country in about a year, most of you are clueless. In fact, most of you would kill to stay clueless. :bang head

I know guys from the army, who quit, and joined militia, because they love this country and would give their lives to defend our constitution. I'm just too dedicated to crap my money on things that a dead man don't need. Guns, ammo, food!! Guts comes from discipline.

Plenty of us patriots wish to see those who already attacked our constitution and our way of life in prison and we'd also kill to defend our constitution and our democratically elected President. In four years you'll get a chance to change things but there's no politics on this forum so back to your topic, you will "feel" a jump in speed from 2.0 to 2.4 GHz for sure. Cache might add another 50-100 MHz as things go...

Those are insane numbers for an nForce2 setup. Kindly post everything from the brand of the power supply to any CPU codes you might have saved before you installed the CPU. Especially the RAM details.

Well, I can't get the CPU codes because the gigantic SI-97 and Panaflo are perched atop it but I do remember searching for a certain "holy-grail" CPU code.

the board is a Shuttle AN35N Ultra
http://eu.shuttle.com/archive/en/an35n.htm

the PSU is a Powmax Demon 600W (yeah, everyone says Powmax sucks, whatever :rolleyes: )
http://www.slcentral.com/powmax-demon-580w-psu/

the memory is Kingston DDR PC3200 512x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141307

...and regarding your sig, why yes I do have a question about Audio/Video editing:
Is there any way to strip mp3 header info without taking out the first 26ms frame?
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic355790.html

Interesting, I've not really had to do that before but if I were intent on getting rid of the tag information without messing up the frame count then I think I'd just use an editor to blank out the information so that no information is actually there but the placeholder is thus preserving the framecount without having any real information being in there.

Which editor and how?

What is the model of the fan by the way on that mega-performing system of yours :)? What is the case and how many fans in it do you have for airflow?

Here is the case:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/atx-case-powmax-demon-II-black-red.htm

Here is the fan on the SI-97:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835180093

I can run 2.5ghz with nothing put the PSU fan and the Panaflo, if I want to go up to 2.7-2.8ghz then SERIOUS cooling is needed.

I had these fans:
2 40mm fans in the fron housing
1 120mm dorsal fan
1 40mm side-venting fan
1 40mm bottom intake fan
1 90mm panaflo on the heatsink
2 40mm exhaust fans in the rear
1 40mm on the PSU
PSU has 1 120mm built in
fan card with 2 40mm fans blowing on the GPU (not needed if not overclocking GPU)

That's 12 fans total, and yes it did sound like a 747.

This is a good proggie for editing those ID3s
http://www.mediamonkey.com/

I love seeing people talk about the XP Barton still. I stumbled across this forum today just googling how to overclock mine

I'm running a Asus A7N8X V2.0 with a XP-M Barton 3000+ running at the stock 2.2Ghz. I bought it the CPU about a year ago to upgrade from my 1800+ Tbred. After reading this thread I'm figuring out that it sounds like I should of bought the 2600+ XP-M because it's lower voltage right? More room to pump it up to overclock higher?

I'm runnning with 3GB in my A7N8X, it had three DIMM slots each supporting 1GB each. It says Dual Channel mode is enabled. It took some work to get the third stick working last year when I upgraded from two sticks. I had to find as close a matched third stick as I could. Even then the bios and Windows would only recognize 2.5GB. Finally I found that I had to lower the AGP Aperature from 512MB to 256MB. I found some rare post somewhere saying that there is not enough addressable memory space when you try to run 512MB AGP Aperature and 3GB of RAM. Don't really understand it but it fixed it and now 3GB works great.

Video card is a XFX 7900 GS AGP. I'm surprised how long I've lasted on this computer, it's been one of the best I ever built. Before this it was a CUSL2 won the 815e chipset, then before that the trusty 440BX overclocking the celeron 300 to 450Mhz.

I'm already specing out a new Core i7 computer, maybe I'll pull the trigger on it later this year.

Thanks for letting me post, I'll check out the other threads and see if I can prolong my stay. This is a great forum.

it sounds like I should have bought the 2600+ XP-M?
Right... or the 2500+ mobile or the 2400 mobile. But good luck with what you have, maybe you'll squeeze a decent OC out of it still. Welcome to the forums.

IIRC correctly LEV, my board wouldn't do dual channel with all 3 slots filled but according to what has been prev said, it is likely because the 3rd stick was an odd man out and not matching the other two Kingstons. I think it may have even been PC2700 instead of PC3200. :welcome:

:attn: :beer::beer::beer: for the mighty Athlon's!

Ya. Looks like a mobile barton is what I need. If not, then there is a guy on ebay selling unlocked desktop bartons, with guarantee and all. He's from Canada.

I sold a half dozen Athlon's to a guy in Canada several years ago, I wonder...

I have one Socket A rig left, with an xp 2000; having a hard time with the idea of letting it go.

I have one Socket A rig left, with an xp 2000; having a hard time with the idea of letting it go.
Give me codes from it & I'll tell you what it is. There are no less than four (!) different 2000+ Athlon XPs.

But Socket 754 & 939 CPUs outperform XPs at lower MHz frequencies so let's not get carried away about old Athlon XPs ;).

Last edited:
Give me codes from it & I'll tell you what it is. There are no less than four (!) different 2000+ Athlon XPs.

But Socket 754 & 939 CPUs outperform XPs at lower MHz frequencies so let's not get carried away about old Athlon XPs ;).

Those were the days...wire mods, bridge mods, still have my conductive paint pen<sniff>

When Athlon XP Thorton came out it was supposed to be a Barton with half its cache disabled. I tried & I tried to mod it and unlock that cache - nuthin.

Side-effect of time spent doing stuff like that was the discovery of the AMD superlock. :(

What says Dual Channel mode is enabled? Your BIOS or CPU-Z ...?

The BIOS says it, I'll try again tonight.

I'm having a ton of issues with my board while I'm rebuiding it and wonder if the 3rd stick of RAM is the cause of my problems. I tried installing Windows 7 beta and it kept rebooting until I removed the third stick. Even before that I had problems with the controller detecting my 500GB Seagate IDE in the proper LBA mode, it kept wanting to pick CHS. Wasn't just that drive, I tried others and similar problems.

Anyway all said and done I got Windows 7 on there only to fight with trying to installed hacked drivers for it. Lots of fun last night, little progress.

Right... or the 2500+ mobile or the 2400 mobile. But good luck with what you have, maybe you'll squeeze a decent OC out of it still. Welcome to the forums.

I confirmed it's a XP-M 3000+ (2.2Ghz) and so far the overclocks haven't been too impressive. I ran Orthos at 2.3Ghz overnight and it was stable. Today it's running 2.4Ghz but it reboot after a few minutes so I bumped up the voltage a little and Orthos is running now. I think 2.5Ghz is out of the question.

Yup. Although it could be many other issues for which we need everything from power supply brand to heatsink info, a lot of them can do 2.3 but that's it (fully stable). For more, you usually need one of the other three mobiles we mentioned.

Back