• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XPs 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very nice info for me. Maybe someone could copy and paste, (giving credit where it is due), to condense this. And then maybe sticky this because this is an AMD forum, not an AMD64 forum, and the history of my Proc's founding fathers/mothers is nice to read. Also waiting to read part 2.

I'll throw in two ideas for best boards:

Abit NF7
MSI K7N2

I own them, they run well, and have been overclocked by many, though mine are nowhere near optimized. My criteria are stable high performance, bios options. I don't need many advanced on-board RAID or other niceties that drive up the cost.

Other good boards for the price?
Best voltage options and fan headers? :)
Feature set?

The problem with MSI nForce2 (and Asus, and Epox, etc...) is that if you have a multiplier unlocked CPU, they do not post all multipliers should you need them.

Abit, DFI, Soltek, possibly Albatron nForce2s do not have that limitation and post the entire range of multipliers on unlocked CPUs. Posting all multipliers is an important feature for overclocking and only those 4 nForce2s are capable of it without any modifications...

[200] FSB x 12 = 2400 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
AIW 9600XT 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

We're probably drifting off topic but I have many ASUS nForce2 boards and as c627627 says they default to about half the multipliers. This is a real annoyance if your FSB is under 200MHz but if you're at 200-220 or above with a mobile, 12.5x normally is all you need.

Back on topic, the mobile Athlon XPs are the cream of the crop of AMD 32-bit processors and breathe life into a decent nForce2 system. I'm pleased with mine anyway, and expect another year or two of use.

Back