• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backing up Ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

I want to try out different distros but since ubuntu is working so well I want to back it up in case I'm not so lucky with other distros.

You can use dd or just backup with cp -ax (or tar if you want). You can pipe either to gzip or bzip2 if you want to save space.

I just realized that I either need something that will boot on it's own, or runs on windows because, since it's my laptop I can't just add a spare hdd to back up the stuff to it and my main pc only has windows at this point. I have a enclosure for pata 2.5 drives which I can put the laptop drive in, but at this point I don't have an enclosure for 3.5 drives yet. I know of programs that will back up under windows but I'm not sure if they are compatible with linux since the one I used screwed up a previews image backup and couldn't restore it.

Well, you can always run a live cd like knoppix. That will boot on its own and will have all the standard tools.

Ok, so how does dd work, I see you said I can make it into a tar, gzip and bzip2 if I wanted to, so can I save that to a ntfs partition through Knoppix or will i need a fat32 of linux partition, I don't think I can save it to fat32 because it might end up bigger then 4gb which I believe is larger then what fat32 supports, I have a spare 100gb drive, I don't know what is in it but I could reformat it with something knoppix supports.

Back