• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup & Restore to a different hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scornduffer

I backed up my whole hard drive C and placed the back up file in E drive. My question is can I take out the C hard drive and place another new drive in its place and still restore the back from E drive to the new hard drive?

Drive images are not dependant on what it goes to. The best course is to actually use a disk/disc other then the drive you back up from. Partitions on the same drive do not count.

Once you need to switch the drive image to another physical drive. Just drop the image as would would normally. The only issue you may face is the partition sizes. Though, that is easy to get around. Just resize the table afterwards. There is a bunch of apps that do this and some are free.

So to answer your question. Your right on track with what you been thinking.

Thanks will this program work?

scornduffer said:
I backed up my whole hard drive C and placed the back up file in E drive. My question is can I take out the C hard drive and place another new drive in its place and still restore the back from E drive to the new hard drive?

Can I use Paragon Hard Disk Professional

i love paragon, and acronis...you say you backed up your C drive. Did you just copy n paste the entire drive over to another harddrive?

are you looking to reinstall windows and just want to be able to transfer over settings and configs?

scornduffer said:

The first question is...what will you boot up with if you don't have your C drive in place?

Assuming you just want to restore the E drive to say D drive and then get rid of your C drive, then yes D will have all the files but it won't boot unless you have made it an active drive when you partitioned it. However it will only work on that computer because the drivers are installed for just that computer and of course winxp will complain if you change mobos and bios.

Backup from E Drive

smokie mcpott said:
i love paragon, and acronis...you say you backed up your C drive. Did you just copy n paste the entire drive over to another harddrive?

are you looking to reinstall windows and just want to be able to transfer over settings and configs?

I did the Windows XP copy disk management program and made a recovery disk. The copy of C is on another HD in the same machine. Can I get the copy installed without the C drive it came from. I want to leave the E drive where the copy is and install two 250 gig HD to set up a Raid program.

simply put, no

you need to install the RAID drivers when you install windows...setting up a raid and trying to copy windows back over to it wont work..unless someone else has a magic method, because i sure as hell have tried.

your best bet is to copy important files to a separate harddrive, reinstall windows on your RAID'd drives, then copy those important files back over

Back